AT 7,5 X16

zeerover

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/05/2017 at 6:10 PM, miketomcat said:

7.50x16 is near enough 235/85x16 and you can get bfg at's in that size.

Mike

A 235 is actually a heck of a lot wider than a 'proper' 7.50. It's a real shame the market has been polluted this way, so much so that it's now somehow taken as acceptable. 

Technically a 235 is also too wide for Series LR rims. You'll normally want a 6j rim as the minimum width. 

Btw 7.5" is only 190mm. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

If you put a tape measure on a 235/85/16 BFG AT there is 180mm of tread , they are 235mm wide at the shoulder 

Depends entirely on the tyre in question. As there seems to be no recognised standard on where the width of a tyre is measure from, i.e. is it bead to bead, shoulder to shoulder, or tread to tread. And if the latter do you include large lugs that stick out from the tyre.

I/we have a lot of tyres. And the proper 7.50 x 16's are all way narrower than the narrowest 235/85R16. And the 235's vary massively.

I don't really have the right pictures online.

But these are 235's

IMG_8080Large.jpg

These are 7.50's

3A5C58C4-99D5-4C96-A4E1-3D70F25C8B00.jpg

These are also another set of wide 235's, treat is way more than 180mm

photo.jpg

In fact, many of the 235's we have are as wide or quite a few cases wider than an 8.25 x 16 tyre.

These aren't 235's, but demonstrate the variety of physical sizes for a given tyre size spec.

IMG_5002.png

Thanks for posting those pictures; at some stage I shall be in the market for 7.50s, and the pictures have reminded me why I want 7.50, not the often offered 235.
I do realise it restricts my choice of tread etc, but even so, I think 'narrower than 235' is where I'll focus my initial investigations.

Regards.

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

These aren't 235's, but demonstrate the variety of physical sizes for a given tyre size spec.

IMG_5002.png

Interestingly the right hand tyre is labelled as both 7.50R16 and 235/85R16. Which can't both be correct...

On 07/05/2017 at 5:55 PM, zeerover said:

I want a tire in this size and even good as the BF Goodrich AT, suggestions?

On 07/05/2017 at 6:10 PM, miketomcat said:

7.50x16 is near enough 235/85x16 and you can get bfg at's in that size.

Mike

22 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

A 235 is actually a heck of a lot wider than a 'proper' 7.50. It's a real shame the market has been polluted this way, so much so that it's now somehow taken as acceptable. 

Technically a 235 is also too wide for Series LR rims. You'll normally want a 6j rim as the minimum width. 

Btw 7.5" is only 190mm. 

21 hours ago, Ozzy50 said:

If you put a tape measure on a 235/85/16 BFG AT there is 180mm of tread , they are 235mm wide at the shoulder 

I wasn't talking about the myriad of tyres  out there only the BFG AT that mike mentioned in his response to the op 

9 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Interestingly the right hand tyre is labelled as both 7.50R16 and 235/85R16. Which can't both be correct...

It sadly is a common trait these days. More so in the remould market. That they sell the exact same size tyre and just stamp one as a 7.50. But they aren't. They are 235's and often wide 235's. 

And makes buying proper 7.50's even harder. 

11 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

Thanks for posting those pictures; at some stage I shall be in the market for 7.50s, and the pictures have reminded me why I want 7.50, not the often offered 235.
I do realise it restricts my choice of tread etc, but even so, I think 'narrower than 235' is where I'll focus my initial investigations.

Regards.

I have to say. I personally love big fat wide tyres for the monster truck look. But narrow tyres often go so much better on U.K. terrain. 

Real 7.50's are a really nice size. Good steering lock, quick responsive steering off road. And often grip way better than wide tyres unless you are on sand. Narrower tyres often give better road mpg too. 

So to that end if anyone wants 7.50's I'd advise them to go for it.