Front dumb irons

Right the time has come to tackle my rather shocking as it turns out dumb irons...

Conveniently, as my welding appears to be strong but not pretty, a chappie at work offered to help out (his father also happens to be a welding instructor). I looked at off the shelf prefabbed bits and pieces and decided they were not that economical for what I needed. The bad stuff goes back towards the cross member after some investigation.

So some nice sheets of steel ordered (always useful to have) and the aim is to build up replacements. Now as I have a winch bumper (errr...) fitted with built in recovery points and jacking points I don't really see the need for the mud traps (sorry jacking points) that hang below the dumb irons. Unfortunately I do need the holes for the tie down rings as these are used for extra support for the winch (sensibly).

So has anyone got and thoughts, or infact done so, on removing the jacking points? The only significant downside I see from my perspective is it could technically be viewed as altering the chassis, however I do have a whopping great big C section style rear cross member now although within the same measurements. And removing them would make it much simpler on the fabrication side of things.

One thought I had was simply to make them taller to encompass the tie down bolt but that means the bumper needs modifying as well.

My front jacking points are useless given the bull bar that's fitted and as such haven't been used for many years.

I replaced the rear crossmember about 8 years ago with folded c section without any jacking points. 

Since the old pillar jack was useless, I sold it. A d2 bottle jack is more useful and stows away neatly. 

So, to your original question, if the dumb irons and jacking points dissappear, I don't think it'd matter. 

Well when I popped back home to feed the puppy at lunch the steel greeted me down the side of the house so guess what I'll be starting tonight...

I think if I ever get pulled over and they start querying things I suspect they'll start with the full set of electric L322 seats ^_^.

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

When I get back from walking said dogs I'll see if I can post a video of a rip roaring snoring pup... 

Do that and a Gxxxpy admin will come along moaning at you for not being Land Rover related, Nice looking dogs by the way.

About 2 years ahead of you...DSCF0396.thumb.JPG.c15b0ebcc370750020586430cd6ddf86.JPG

No picture of Tali but the rest of the family, Rosie, Tundra, Sandy and Lyra from left to right (mother, uncle, grandmother of Lyra).

Unfortunately I've only got my phone and can't upload the video but maybe this link will work: https://goo.gl/photos/YTDAe2k8kb6iiJHx7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukspike said:

Do that and a Gxxxpy admin will come along moaning at you for not being Land Rover related, Nice looking dogs by the way.

I don't think it was an admin or mod that was grumpy, just saying :)

Nice animals too btw, just to stay on topic :)

Well back on the subject of Land Rovers (as if we ever left :unsure:...) had a proper look at them this afternoon with a mate and the bottoms aren't actually that bad so we might see if we can cut off the "box" section leaving the rest intact. I'll give it a good scrub up and plenty of paint and underseal and see where that gets us. Also leaves the chassis number intact.

41 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

It may turn out to be another one of those expensive fixes - he's bringing along a plasma cutter and I suspect I'll want one afterwards...

Oh you will.. whatever happens don't let him bring a TIG as well.

He may well have one buried in the back of the car, certainly got a MIG although ironically exactly the same model as mine but setup in gas mode rather than flux-cored (had some reels with it when I picked it up).

13 hours ago, GW8IZR said:

Oh you will.. whatever happens don't let him bring a TIG as well.

Ummm, he left the plasma overnight with me... Although there is an open offer to borrow it whenever I need it.