P38 - Stupid Horn

RatCav

Hi there. Been searching for a while for answers but nothing definitive.

I have a phantom horn issue. Central locking works fine with the key/button.

Horn works if you press it.

Good (new) battery.

Changed the steering wheel coupler.

Changed the horn relay.

Taken the wheel off and cleaned/adjusted the buttons to make sure they don't short.

Horn has a mind of its own. 

Now for the oddity. Today while looking it was switched off and the horn was silent. Shut the bonnet and the horn blipped. Stood there for a couple of seconds. Shut the car up and locked the door. Went to walk away and then the horn went off. When it goes off it won't stop unless you pull the fuse/relay.

I tried looking for a bonnet switch for the alarm but couldn't find anything.

Starting to do my nut in. Added complication there isn't anyone local that I trust (Preston) with a diagnostic. Short of having my arm ripped off by the Dealer.

Any ideas.

8 hours ago, Puffernutter said:

The bonnet switch (IIRC) is on one of the locking mechanisms under the front valence. RHS I think?

Cheers

Peter

'Valance'? I always think of that as being the bodywork lower than the bumper (but above any air dam that might be fitted).
I'd call it the 'bonnet landing panel', to hopefully minimise confusion.

Right Hand Side when viewed from the drivers seat, of course :-)

Regards.

Fair comment. I couldn't think of the right term! It's attached to the RHS (from the driver's seat) locking mechanism. I think if you remove the radiator grill you can get access to it. It's only one side that has the microswitch.

4 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

'Valance'? I always think of that as being the bodywork lower than the bumper (but above any air dam that might be fitted).
I'd call it the 'bonnet landing panel', to hopefully minimise confusion.

Right Hand Side when viewed from the drivers seat, of course :-)

Regards.

"Slam panel" I think is the correct term. The switch is indeed in the RHS locking mechanism. Unplugged is closed, FYI ;)

• Like 1

Yes, you are probably correct. I also seem to recall that I had to remove the vehicle battery to remove the catch in order the clean old dried grease and ensured it fully released.
Depending on the age of the vehicle, the OP's example might have two horns, one for normal use (an audible indication of presence), and a 'battery backed sounder' which operates for alarm purposes. When the OP hears a horn sound I'm not sure, after all this time, which one it might be, under differing circumstances..

Regards.