SIIA/III WMS to Pinion to WMS dimensions help please

abosely

Is there a drawing, that shows front and rear axles WMS (Wheel Mount Surface) to pinion to WMS? Or does anyone have a set of axles that they could measure for me? Mine axles are completely disassembled so can't measure mine currently. For Series IIA or III axles.

Cheers, Allen

Others may have access to the appropriate stroke of inspiration, but I will say I do not understand the question.

Wheel Mount surface is actually the outer face of the brake drum. Do you mean that surface, or were you thinking of the flat face of the hub, which the brake drum is held against?

Pinion; what pinion? There is a pinion in the nose of the differential, but this is connected to the rear prop shaft (drive shaft in USA English).
Perhaps you mean the output gear in the differential. This is the gear with internal splines, into which the half shaft engages.
The half shafts are two different lengths of course.

Posted not because I know any of the answers, or have any spare axles around to measure, but more to draw out a better description of what measurement it is you really want.

Regards

I suspect the question is what is the depth from the outboard end of the half-shaft cover cap to the outboard face of the brake drum, so as to determine what alloy wheels will fit or what dimension tyre and wheel combination will ensure the cone falls inside the tyre wall for protection purposes.

• Like 1

Snagger yes, that is correct. A is outside of brake drum surface where wheel mounts, B/C is center of pinion and D is outside of brake drum where wheel mounts.

I need the two measurements, A to B and C to D. B and C are actually the same, but couldn't figure out how to fit it on pic. The pic isn't mine, I copied it from geoffslandroverblog.com for reference

If I remember correctly A to D is 55" I need to know the dimensions the pinion is from the WMS (brake drum faces where the wheels mount) to pinion and to opposite WMS. 

These two, well three to verify that the WMS to WMS is 55" would be great help!

Cheers, Allen

AXLE.jpg

Ah, I had misunderstood and thought you were after the depth between "A" and the tips of the silver hub cones!  Sorry, I don't have access to a LR at the moment, so can't take measurements, but the question does intrigue me; what are you making?

17 hours ago, Snagger said:

Ah, I had misunderstood and thought you were after the depth between "A" and the tips of the silver hub cones!  Sorry, I don't have access to a LR at the moment, so can't take measurements, but the question does intrigue me; what are you making?

Well.... it's a bit different, but extensive build. :-)

When I get back home in few hrs, I'll post up about the build.

if anyone is interested, I'll do a build thread on it. 

Cheers, Allen

Cool, I started a thread on the build and the basic build specs or plan here earlier this eve.

Tomorrow I'll post up some pics of the axles & what I'm doing on them.

I won't have a lot of progress happening till middle of August, then I'll be able to make faster progress.

i would like to get your thoughts on the overall build. 

Cheers, Allen

• Like 1

I got my axles out, reassembled them and measured them up. So thought I'd post up the dimensions in case it might be helpful to someone else sometime or interesting.

Front Axle.jpg

Rear Axle.jpg

Edited by abosely