Mice in air filter again

gadget

The freelander has a shiny new MOT and tradition calls for a service in celebration :)

Mice has been in the air filter again so i think it's time to try and keep the buggers out.

I'm thinking that a mesh over the end of the air intake in the wing will probably be the easiest fix. Anyone else had the same trouble and come up with a simple solution?

We park our cars in the open against a hedgerow.

I'd get bored of emptying traps before the mice got bored of throwing themselves on traps. :lol:

They also get cosy under the engine cover next to the injectors. I have to clear out the acorn shell build up there periodically too.

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Reverse in? :)

We've tried that. They've worked out where the warm bit has moved to. They're cunning :)

They've taken to living behind the front bumper, in the chassis rail on the defender. It's not run for over a year so i think they've forgotten where the warm bit on that is.

do you have a proper outdoor cat?

Mice are a real nuisance and do a lot of damage, we have trouble with them for a couple of weeks both at the end of winter and summer. They gain access through a low stone wall into the kitchen roof space. Since the passing of our old cat Jess they meet with a click and its lights out.

So, whatever you do don't poison them, if you lose them it stinks and can kill other scavengers.

As you probably know they p1ss constantly when they roam and the trail is a signal for others to follow so clearing them out is only a temporary fix but if you spray disinfectant, Jeyes fluid or FAM ( any farm Iodine based disinfectant ) it not only reduces the risk of disease, it kills the smell and stops the others following the trail. That will give some temporary relief.

I would make a plastic cover to clip in the vent to completely block it when parked, they can squeeze through a hole the size of an end on pencil so any mesh will be pretty unsuccessful.

HTH

It sounds like we share the same mouse issues. They end up in the roof spaces here too. We have traps that take care of them in the house.

Some of the family have an aversion to cats so we don't have one currently. The owls take a good stab at the mice population and there are a couple of cats that seem to wander here from time to time.

The air intake on the freelander feeds from the engine bay into the inner wing and is obscured by an arch liner so a removable cover isn't practical :(

I'll douse the air intake in jeyes though. Good idea.

Rural life :-) just different challenges - I didn't really take to cats 'till I moved from an urban life and then I quickly realised how handy they are, now I admit 'er indoors puts 10Kg of wild bird food out each week feeding all the food chain  from insects up to buzzards so the cat had her work cut out.

Anyway, sorry but I thought the air inlet on 'er indoors FL was on the outer wing, the car went 6 months ago so my memory obviously fades.

Those clicky ultrasonic scarer things are a waste of time otherwise you could have rigged something up like that.

Slosh that Jeyes round where you park as well so the established runs get disrupted.. my luck the disruption would send them scurrying into the house shouting gas, gas, gas ;-)