If you value this forum's future please support us
giacomo.m

Timing belt 200 Tdi

giacomo.m    2

Hi all,

I'm replacing timing belt on Defender 200 Tdi but I have problems on fitting  the belt ,seems to be short, since the tensioner is very difficult to move

Is there any trick to adopt ?

thank you

Giacomo

western    211

I remove the tensioner, slip the belt on, then refit the tensioner leaving the bolt loose, once it's back in place & correctly seated then the adjustment & tension of the timing belt & torque up of the tensioner bolt can be done

• Like 2

Snagger    197

Good suggestion, Ralph, or at least remove one of the fixings for the tensioner completely to allow the back plate to swivel enough to get the belt on easily.  It can be a pig of a job with the tensioner slackened but both fixings in place.

giacomo.m    2
8 hours ago, western said:

I remove the tensioner, slip the belt on, then refit the tensioner leaving the bolt loose, once it's back in place & correctly seated then the adjustment & tension of the timing belt & torque up of the tensioner bolt can be done

Thank you western

that's what I did, but it seems to me that the belt is already stretched and there is no chance to trim it

94489 Dayco belt

Giacomo

western    211

94489 Dayco is the same as I fit, the tensioner only has the one long bolt through the entre slotted washer, the other round hole fits on the timing case spigot  & the 1/2 inch square hole for the tensioning torque wrench to fit into. haven't had any trouble tensioning mine, IIRC a new belt is tensioned to 17Nm, then the tensioner bolt is fully ttorque tightened.

giacomo.m    2

I agree 100% with what you say, but once assembled I feel it is already tense so it does not let me tensioning it to 20 Nm

Giacomo

Mo Murphy    186

Have you slackened the 3 bolts on the fuel injection pump pulley ? If you don't it makes the belt really tight.

Mo

western    211

that 20Nm is to high, it needs to be 17 nm for a new belt, it is a tight fit,