Timing belt 200 Tdi

I remove the tensioner, slip the belt on, then refit the tensioner leaving the bolt loose, once it's back in place & correctly seated then the adjustment & tension of the timing belt & torque up of the tensioner bolt can be done

• Like 2

Good suggestion, Ralph, or at least remove one of the fixings for the tensioner completely to allow the back plate to swivel enough to get the belt on easily.  It can be a pig of a job with the tensioner slackened but both fixings in place.

8 hours ago, western said:

I remove the tensioner, slip the belt on, then refit the tensioner leaving the bolt loose, once it's back in place & correctly seated then the adjustment & tension of the timing belt & torque up of the tensioner bolt can be done

Thank you western

that's what I did, but it seems to me that the belt is already stretched and there is no chance to trim it

94489 Dayco belt

Giacomo

94489 Dayco is the same as I fit, the tensioner only has the one long bolt through the entre slotted washer, the other round hole fits on the timing case spigot  & the 1/2 inch square hole for the tensioning torque wrench to fit into. haven't had any trouble tensioning mine, IIRC a new belt is tensioned to 17Nm, then the tensioner bolt is fully ttorque tightened.