My 2004 Td5 has started to misfire (actually no firing at all) on one cylinder but only when engine is warmed up after 5-10 minutes or so. When cold it runs smooth.

I have checked the injector harness for oil leaks but can with confidence say there is no evidence of leaks even at the top. Bone dry.

Checking the temperature of the exhaust manifold it is clear it is cylinder 1 that is playing up as it is a lot cooler there.

Any leads on this anyone?

Lars

Have you been able to connect it to a Hawkeye or nanocom? Any error codes?

Possibly grounding issue?

When you say no oil leaks... you are talking about the ECU red plug, under the offside seat? That should be clear.

How old is the injector harness?

Hi Jabber, and thanks for the input.

I haven't connected it to look for fault codes yet, but will do so when I can find someone with the right equipment.

There is no oil at the "red plug" nor is there any at the top of the harness where it connects to the cylinder head at the front of the engine.

I bought the vehicle a couple of years ago and don't have any records of any replaced harness, but having no traces of oil is at least a good sign.

My plan is to open up the top cover and check for any chaffing of the wiring or any other suspicious stuff.

Lars

I had the same misfire with our 2004 TD5 Defender.

One cylinder clearly not firing.

There was no oil at the ECU red plug but l changed the injector harness anyway, and it cured the misfire.

That was about five months ago and the fault has not recurred. Worth a try, the injector harness is under £30 and is easy to change.

And if it does not cure the fault, at least you will know what it isn't.

Edited by Lightning

Thanks Lightning for that info.

I will replace the harness as you say since it's an easy and quick job. At the same time I can check the injector seals and replace the top gasket since it's leaking a bit.

Lars

Misfire sorted!

A few days ago I replaced the injector harness, injector o-rings and copper washers.

After reassembly I ran the fuel purging process three times and started the engine.

It took perhaps 15 seconds or so to have the first few cylinders to fire and after that they came on one by one with a big white cloud of smoke from the exhaust.

The vehicle been driven some 100km since then and there are no signs of misfire. It is running smoother than before the misfire appeared.

All in all a much better vehicle than before.

I'm not sure how long it will last but so far so good.

Scandi