Wrong Diff - Front Centre Portion

HELP pleeeeese !!!

I have a 1991 200Tdi 110 Defender, and while on visit during April I bought a new centre portion for my front diff in South Africa. I live in Madagascar. I sailed back and started the dismantling of the old and to my horror found out that I have the 10 spline side shaft diff and the new one is 24 spline. No way I can hop back quickly and replace . . . so what do I do now?

Can I use the 2 old side shaft gears in the new one (there are 2 spider gears and the 2 gears on the side shafts – page 410 No 2 in parts catalogue) OR can I buy 2 new 24 spline side shafts and replace my old 10 spline side shafts with them?

OR am I stuck????

Any help will be well appreciated.

My nearest LR dealer is 1000km’s away.

Dries

Edited by V8 Freak
Removed VIN number
  • Like 1

AH

If only life was that easy !

On centres there are different gear types forged and cut, and also differing center casings and even differing pin sizes all on the standard 2 pins.

To be honest messing about with a 2 pin will prob give you grey hairs and may work 1st time or not.

Mixing gears is also a bad idea from mixing wear patterns, the 2 pin centre is already weak enough !

If you now have a 24 spline centre best route would be to upgarde to 24 shafts which even standard are stronger, here is a video, although its on front shafts the 10 / 24 argument is 100% valid !

Hope this helps, ask if you want any more info :

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

Need yourr help again.

Before ordering new 24 spline side shafts i had a look at the old and the new centre portions.

The old:  Crown wheel - 46 teeth, Pinion - 13 teeth, Side shaft gears - 16 teeth and Spider gears - 9 teeth = it has 10 spline side shafts

New: Crown wheel - 46 teeth, Pinion - 13 teeth, Shide shaft gears - 14 teeth Spider gears - 9 teeth = it needs 24 spline side shafts

Question - it is only the Crown wheel and pinion that realy matters to give you the same ratio OR will i have to hunt for a complete identical centre portion to my old one ????

Help much appreciated

Dries - Madagascar

The CWP teeth gives ratios, So 46 on CW and 13 on pinion = 3.538 (3.54) same on Ashcroft HD 28 / 8 = 3.5 these have to be the same each end (ok to use ashcroft 3.5 and std 3.54, I mean you cant have 4.1 one end and 3.54 on the other - and yes I have known itr :D:rofl:

The gears in the centre - sun or pkanet are a SET, differing SETS have differing numbers (and styles) of gears, but the SETS allows the differewntial movement nothing more, so any centre is fine providing the SET is all matched :D

Hope this helps and makes sense ?

Nige