Help please - identifying a series model

westsail

Hello everybody,

I am thinking about buying a series landy.

It is a 109 ragtop, 2.25 petrol living in Spain, 4 gear gearbox, no overdrive.

Now, according to its (spanish) paperwork it is from 1970 and by its looks it is ex-mod. But the chassis number says something different, does it not?? (attached you see the riveted plate). According to this plate it is a 3/4 tonner; did the mod not use 1 tonners mainly??

Any help from more experienced members would be highly appreciated.

I will take more pics later today and check the number on the chassis (if it ever was swapped, it was a loooong time ago as it will need extensive repair).

Thanks a lot and best regards, greetings from spain

Fabian

IMG_20170517_151838077.jpg

IMG_20170517_152413854.jpg

If you want the full detail, down which regiment it served with, and what their favourite pasta was, you should post the pictures of the plates and engine number on the EMLRA forum (Ex-Military Land Rover Association). You can post without being a member, although obviously it helps you if you register.

Remember this is Army speak, If they decide to call it a 3/4 tonne vehicle, then that is what it is classed as.
Chassis will vary from contract to contract, that is why the Contract and CES numbers are so very useful.

Regards.

I think 3/4 ton was the designation of the ordinary LWB.  The 1 tonne was a rather different beast with heavy duty suspension, lower ratio steering, wide wheels and an all-helical transfer box giving a maximum sppeed in the low 50's

This doesn't mean that yours is the same as a standard civilian one - the suspension and other parts may be special.

I'd have put it as very late 70's - early 80's - it has a Vin no - SALL. . . . . - earlier ones didn't.  It could be that military vehicles acquired them earlier than civilian ones or something.  My 'T' reg S3 didn't have a vin no - just a chassis no - but my X reg LWB did.

Edited by secondjeremy

Thanks a lot guys!

In total it really looks like the year in the paperwork is wrong, doesn't it?

Also the engine number is from a 8:1 5 bearing mod engine (could have been a motor swap though...)

Will keep you updated.

?

• 4 weeks later...

Typically military rebuilt engines are painted in a pale turquoise colour. The terracotta red of yours is the colour it would have been painted at the LR factory.

The military 109 was designated as a 3/4 ton vehicle but apart from the CL spec vehicles they all had heavy duty suspension

From what my dad used to say was that the army always used to run stuff de-rated so they wouldn't be loaded to the hilt in need of getting out of a situation so although it may carry a ton they would only carry up to 3/4 ton but someone else from an army background may be able to verify.

Edited by Cornish Rattler

most LR even 110's are rated for a 3/4 ton load carrying ability, 

the KC part of your military reg puts it around 1985 to 86 when new & into service, or 84 to 85, it almost corresponded to the civilian vehicles registration year letters on reg plates of normal vehicles,