Hi my names Edward and I'm planning on putting a om606 into a 200 or 300tdi discovery and I was just looking for some advice. First thing is if  I put the om606 into the disco do I need the mechanical fuelse pump or can I put the ecu into the discovery because I donto really want to pay the price I will if I have to though. Secondly what do I do about the clutch what do I use. Finally dof I use a r380 manual box or do I have to use a auto again I will if I have to thanks

Well Edward .... its a big subject, and you've covered most of the difficult starting choices in 3 lines.  Really people will help out when they can but they can't help much when you haven't really got started yourself. It doesn't sound like you have an existing vehicle, we don't know why you want the conversion or what you propose to use it for and we don't know what your skill-set is. All of that makes it hard to answer.

Just to try and be helpful though there is no need to go for the mechanical pump unless it offers something you need/want. If you start with a whole donor car you will have everything you need engine wise.

Manual transmissions are open to a number of solutions depending on budget and skills/resources, personally I favour the auto and if I were starting from scratch for a first project I can only recommend you look at the commercially available adapter; If you read the OM606 thread here you will get a feel for the options and links to the obvious suppliers. HTSH

waiting for @landroversforever to pop his head up

You can buy a manual conversion kit for an LT77 or R380 from a chap called Ollie North, you'll find him on the Mercedes Land Rover group on Facebooks. 

Gazfab does the kit for putting them onto an autobox.  

No reason not to keep the EDC pump and have the ECU sorted to run without the immobiliser. 

Cheaper than dropping £1k or more on a mechanical pump from DPUK or DieselMeken. 

I'm putting one in a Range Rover classic. Ollie hadn't finished his conversion when I started out, so I used Gaz fab adaptor plate and an r380 v8 bellhousing. All worked well with a tdi input shaft and custom spigot bearing, plus sprinter DMf delete flywheel and clutch cover plus 300tdi friction plate. Whether it'll take the power is another matter!! I'm going for mech pump as I want zero complication and a fair bit more power. I'm rebuilding the gearbox and transfer boxes with strengthening upgrades, and I've started from a suffix L disco box but rebuilding it with new suffix k/l type 300tdi input shaft. No body or chassis mods required, other than welding on eng mounts which I added onto stock v8 chassis brackets. Oil filter a bit tight to get in and out, either cut bulkhead a little in scuttle area or remote it which is easy as housing unbolts and leaves flat flange for pipe takeoffs

Edited by retropower