Oil Service Warning

Hello, I have a 2014 Defender 90 Hard Top E. I live in a part of Spain that is a long distance from an authorized service garage, so I had a local mechanic do the yearly oil change. I have every reason to believe that they really did perform the oil change (i.e. they showed me the box of oil containers they ordered specifically for me and then after showed me the empties on the floor which I asked to see) however, whenever I start the Defender the "OIL SERVICE" warning appears on the console momentarily. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this and/or what needs to be done to rectify it?

I'm also concerned because I read somewhere in the manual that the warranty is void if the oil service is not performed on schedule.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

-David

The "Oil service" warning will not be reset by simply changing the oil and filter, it needs to be reset electronically by plugging in a diagnostic service device to re-start the countdown to the next service.

There may possibly be a way to reset it by pressing buttons in a certain sequence, however, I'm not familiar with the Puma so I'm not certain on that one.

Edited to add; the warranty should not be affected so long as you have proof of the service intervention, invoices etc.

Edited by crwoody

Thanks for the replies! I will hopefully be visiting the authorized mechanic soon, so hopefully he can reset the warning.

On the topic of oil... the last time I had it changed I checked the dipstick and the oil seemed relatively clean, but this time it seems dirty by comparison. Is this because I waited too long to have it changed (I was overdue)? Would you recommend getting the oil changed again just to clear out the sediment?

I have had this in my Ford van with the tdci engine, if the oil is overdue for a change.

After filling with new oil it goes black very quickly. How many miles since your last oil change?

You could change the oil again as l did, and it will then look clean for a bit longer. But l don't think it will make much difference to the engine.