Bit of a change on SIII build, I just got a 69' IIA!

abosely

A update about my 72' SIII build. I stumbled into a 69' SIIA and picking her up in the next couple days. Needs new chassis and definitely new bulkhead. 
I'm giving the SIII to my nephew, he's 20 and a good buddy and he is going to rebuild her, we will be working on them together. 

He's keeping her basically stock ie, Series axles, gearbox and all that. Will be getting a 200Tdi, and rebuilding it, but not using the turbo, probable be getting a Turner performance head for it though. The 200di will give him a rebuilt to new condition diesel engine and not be stressing the SIII gearbox or running gear, and give good mpg.

We're rebuilding the SIII chassis, it's in pretty good shape to start with, putting new military dumb irons and rebuilding the front horns, new military  spring hangers in rear, Rocky Mountain Parabolic springs, extended shock mounts, new Richards' under flywheel and bolt on gearbox cross members and we're building a new rear cross member. With the Military dumb irons and rear spring hangers, he can run what ever amount of lift he wants down the road.

She's getting taken down to bare metal and finished from there, all new bolts, nuts, screws fittings etc. He's buying the YMR bulkhead parts I already have and completely rebuilding the bulkhead.   

I going to build the SIIA with new chassis, probably buy a new bulkhead from Dave Marsh, and pretty much build it along the lines of the SIII Kevin is now building. But I'll be using a 300Tdi, stubby R380, Ashcroft adapter kit to mate Series TC to it and Land Cruiser axles and diffs. 

To find one Series on the Big Island is surprising, to find two Series here is unbelievable, and then to be able to get them both is just bizarre! lol I'll post up some pics of the SIIA soon as we get her home, in next few days. 

I'm pretty jazzed! :-D

Cheers, Allen

I'll get Kevin to join the forum here and he can tell about his rebuild on the SIII as it progresses.

• Like 1

That's great!

I haven't heard of MoD 88s having different spring hangers than standard 88s.  I'm pretty sure it was only 1-Ton and MoD 109s that had them.  There's no reason you couldn't fit the front dumbirons to an 88, but the rear spring mounts are entirely different.  If you do extend everything, don't forget the longer dampers, brake lines and bump stop sandwich plates.

What engine does the IIA have now ? They are one of my favourite Land Rover models , I recently picked up an 88"IIA Hardtop  with original diesel to rebuild/preserve , I'll start a thread when the work gets under way .

Nice find , looking forward to the pic's

cheers

Steve b

Snagged, the Australian SWB had the extended rear spring hangers and Richards offers them as an option.

Yes the 109 military rear hangers are different and extend out from the chassis rails, whereas the SWB Australian Military rear spring hangers are the same as regular SWB ones, just longer and with two holes to run standard height or extended height.

Steve, not sure yet, it has a rebuilt short block in a crate, but has had some weather get to it, so is of unknown condition at the moment.

I'm putting a 300Tdi, Stumpy R380, Ashcroft adapter kit to mate the Series TC and moving the engine forward 102mm. 

Able to keep the Series front no problem. Use a electric fan instead of the engine driven one for clearance though.

guessing it's a 2.25 petrol engine, but who knows? Will find out in few days.

Will do a build thread and introduce her soon as we get her home and post pics.

Cheers, Allen

Abosely, you have a modern engine fitted  to a modern gearbox why not fit the LT230 T-case ? No need to move the engine forward as there is enough space.

The LT230 can be fitted with a whole range of ratios to suit your needs, can be converted back to part time 4WD and is a lot stronger than the Series T-case.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey AV8R, sorry haven't replied for so long, got pneumonia, kinda took me out of circulation for a bit there.

The LT230 is a bit longer than the Series TC and Ashcroft adapter, it's a SWB and don't want to make the rear propshaft any shorter than it already is. Buy moving the engine 4" forward the Series TC stays in the same location as stock, so rear propshaft doesn't need to be shortened. 

Cheers, Allen   

As far as the 200 engine and Series box are concerned on the SIII, don't worry about the strength of the transmission.  The SIII box is quite capable of handling the 200Tdi, with turbo, as long as it's in reasonable condition, replenished with oil regularly and not driven stupidly.  There was a lot of scare mongering on the net a decade ago, but I ran this combination on a heavy 109 for a long time and only broke a gear through my own foolishness, and many other have had the same experience.  At the same time, many people continue to break SII and SIII boxes with bad driving behind a neglected and worn out 2.25 engine...  I do know a handful of people who have done the "DI" conversion on 88"s and been very pleased with it, so do whichever suits, but don't be scared off the turbo because of the gear box.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/28/2017 at 8:48 AM, AV8R said:

Abosely, you have a modern engine fitted  to a modern gearbox why not fit the LT230 T-case ? No need to move the engine forward as there is enough space.

The LT230 can be fitted with a whole range of ratios to suit your needs, can be converted back to part time 4WD and is a lot stronger than the Series T-case.

Well I guess I was wrong about being able to fit the LT230 in a Series after all! 

But that's good news! Lol 

At the end of August I'll have a 300Tdi, R380 (to be rebuilt as a Stumpy version) and an LT230 to rebuild and put in the SIIA.

today I finished redoing the patterns for the chassis. 

Middle of August I'll be able to get the sheet steel & start building the chassis. I'm getting 1 Ton dumb irons, Australian Military SWB rear spring hangers, bulkhead, front and rear fuel tank outriggers from Richards Chassis, I'm building the rest.

Cheers, Allen

• 3 weeks later...

Below is a picture of my set up during the development stage. The red thing poking through the bulkhead is a Ford bellhousing. My 88" runs a 2,6 L V6 from a Capri.

The aluminium plate was made to adapt the Ford housing to the front of the "Stumpy" LT77 5 speed. All levers are Series looking and functioning. The LT230 is converted to part time 4WD and a 1:1.003 ratio. Standard 4.7 diffs are retained. This combination gives good cruise performance and a very low range. 2500 RPM in top gear is 65 MPH.1000 RPM in 1st gear low gives you about 2 MPH.

IMG_9564.JPG

IMG_9573.JPG

• Like 2

Love the dash, I was thinking of some how using two dash panels next to each other in the center but over lapping the partition towards the steering column and using one side for the two large gauges and the other for the switches and smaller gauges, if not as mine is the later 2a with the later wiper's I was thinking of fitting the smaller gauges in the panel that fits above the dash if its strong enough for cutting holes in and probably stay with the std dash for the large gauges and switches, but I will look at it more when I get to the bulkhead stage :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, abosely said:

Did you need to shorten the rear propshaft with the Stumpy R380 & LT230? 

I could use the same propshaft as before.

The shaft was allready shortened but this is due to the Salisbury rear axle. The Rover axle did not stand the 120 HP Ford and the 900x16 tyres I had.

• Like 1