I've had a quick search on the forum but can't really find the answer I'm looking for so here goes, I'm rebuilding a Salisbury rear axle with disk brakes to replace my drum braked unit with a broken diff, in your opinions yay or nay to the brake disks guards some people I speak to says yes others say no . Thought this might be a worthy forum topic.

My advice would be that if you do a lot of heavy off road work in deep muddy conditions then leaving them off will make cleaning the brakes easier, the brake pads will wear quicker but that will happen doing that doing that sort of work anyway.

For normal road use and light off roading I would keep them on. Extends brake pad life and also helps keep water off the discs when driving in heavy rain so avoiding the 'oh shi--' moment on the first pedal press as the water clears off the discs - this is more of a front brake problem though.

• Like 1

I find they tend to mask problems, if for instance you have a leaking piston seal, it is hidden away behind the shield.

Still haven't quite worked out why I get through 4 sets of rear pads for each set of fronts though

7 hours ago, neil110 said:

I find they tend to mask problems, if for instance you have a leaking piston seal, it is hidden away behind the shield.

Still haven't quite worked out why I get through 4 sets of rear pads for each set of fronts though

I would suspect seized calipers, either the rear stuck on or the front not applying enough pressure.  Th pistons rust within a couple of years, even if only used on road.  Stainless pistons solve the problem, giving better braking and greater pad and disc life. 

The rear discs get more road spray than the fronts. I found that when doing a lot of miles on un-metalled roads the lack of shields reduced rear pad life to a few thousand miles in the winter when the grit-laden spray off the road surface was at its worst. Putting the rear shields back on improved this dramatically - I assume simply as less of the spray gets onto the disc surface.

As mentioned though if you're doing pay-and-play type off-roading where you're actually getting mud and stones up in around the hubs/axles then they're likely to trap stuff and cause problems for cleaning etc.

22 hours ago, reb78 said:

I leave them fitted. On the front, I had recently noticed a leaky swivel seal and that would have easily got on the brake disc without the mudguards fitted.

I have them fitted on the front for the same reason. I was missing one (mounting bracket had rusted away) and managed to contaminate my disks and pads on that side due to a leaking swivel.

However, I didn't bother fitting them to the rear when I converted that to disk brakes. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 4:52 PM, Snagger said:

I would suspect seized calipers, either the rear stuck on or the front not applying enough pressure.  Th pistons rust within a couple of years, even if only used on road.  Stainless pistons solve the problem, giving better braking and greater pad and disc life. 

No, this is every 110 I have ever had over the last 25 years. they have all gone through rear pads faster than front. Still the case with stainless pistons all ropund

Interesting.  I haven't seen the issue on my RRC, and the 109 (110 axles but with Discovery brakes) hasn't done enough miles post conversion to show anything.  They don't have the same brake sizes as a 110, so might never share the issue, but I'll keep an eye out for it.