Galvaniser Recommendations, Please...

Paddy_SP

I would be most grateful if anyone would be kind enough to recommend a galvanisers for me. I live in Devon, but South West Galvanisers in Crediton just quoted me £560 to do a pile of various parts - I could buy them all new for less than that...

Whenever I've had stuff galvanised I've used Chris @ CLH Trailers as he always galvanises his trailers. Based off weight of parts.

Not local but I think the company he uses is in South East Wales or Bristol area. Might be worth a call, always very helpful might be worth mentioning my name.

Be very careful having bits galvanised as older parts tend to warp during the process, especially chassis. Remember they strip back to bare metal which makes original a lot thinner then chemically clean before dipping in liquid molten zinc. personally your better off buying new already done as your getting true thickness and warp free. I got caught a few years ago and my chassis was bent and "fooked up" beyond repair.

Thanks for your comments, however, I'm well aware of the issues concerned. Most of the bits I wanted done were floor support brackets, seat belt mounts, and the like. My chassis is already galvanised - it's a new Richards item!

My chassis was done in peterborough, and they did a lovely job. Later I got my bumper done in southampton as it was closer since I moved and it was so-so. So there is certainly difference in quality between them, even if they almost all work under the Wessex banner. Also bear in mind they may be able to ship stuff for you, but the shipping I got quoted for the chassis was more than the galvanising itself.

Daan

On 5/26/2017 at 0:31 PM, landroversforever said:

Mine was all done by Wessex galvanisers near Southampton.... they're part of wedge group so have a search for them. It was all good. Loads of brackets done and it was about £140? 

Many thanks - not heard of them before - I'll check them out!

On 5/27/2017 at 9:16 AM, ballcock said:

Get friendly with a local engineering company that gets regular galvanising done and see if you can add it to one of their batches

Sadly, that's exactly what I did. It would seem that my local galvanisers are not interested in anything that isn't made of RSJs. :(

Edited by Paddy_SP

On 5/27/2017 at 1:58 PM, Daan said:

My chassis was done in peterborough, and they did a lovely job. Later I got my bumper done in southampton as it was closer since I moved and it was so-so. So there is certainly difference in quality between them, even if they almost all work under the Wessex banner. Also bear in mind they may be able to ship stuff for you, but the shipping I got quoted for the chassis was more than the galvanising itself.

Daan

Thanks - I'll bear that in mind!

Galvanisers are infamous for losing things, damaging things, not galvanising things completely, and completely destroying things. I know this because all of that has happened to various jobs of mine. You have to be really sharp with these places, taking photos and giving them a list and anything else you can think of. I've never worked out why such a simple process could be so hard to do correctly - maybe it's the fumes?