OM606 Range Rover Classic Restoration and Build

Progress punctuated by my brother's stag do and wedding, got the chassis stripped and ready for blasting in under 2 hours which I thought must be a "things going smoothly" record (and testament to the gas axe removing all the bolts lol)

the eagle eyed will spot something amiss chassis wise, but then I know this isn't a nit picking forum ;-)

IMG_2438.JPG

IMG_2439.JPG

Donned the lovely clemco helmet and had a fri and Saturday off work so I had a good stint at it, got body blasted and thermal zinc sprayed (metal spray gun) in a day, then chassis the following day, then got both painted in black raptor truck bed liner (thinned and put on with 2.5mm nozzle in Sata PRI gun)

IMG_2450.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2456.JPG

.....and body the same inside and out. Will paint the pillars later on (and sand back and properly paint the rear arch faces too as I messed up the finish on the raptor there, went on perfect then caught it with the airline lol)

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

And that almost gets up to date! i have bought a used and fairly tired suffix L r380 box and transfer box from a disco td5 which last week in a couple of hours in an evening I stripped completely so the rear casing can go off for machining for larger bearings. Today I stripped the lt230 so its casing can also go off to be sleeved. I have a new 300tdi suffix k/l input shaft and will get full rebuild kits for r380 and transfer and the latter will get an Ashcroft lsd centre diff too. Fingers crossed we will see what torque it will all stand....!!!!!!

I've also acquired a holset hx35w from a truck which I will rebuild and keep to one side ready to break the axles!

the diesel pump for the engine will be from dieselmeken in Sweden but prob via Luke Dale at diesel pump uk as it doesn't make sense to source it myself when he brings them over in bulk. I will go for 7.5mm éléments, I certainly won't be able to use over 350hp without breaking everything so it's a case of being limited by transmission!!

Few more bits n bobs, been sorting out axle and suspension bits this evening. I've ended up with 6 axles, 2 from the original Range Rover, which at 1989 im guessing will be 10 spline, plus a pair from a '94 300tdi disco and a pair from a '95 v8 disco which I assume will both be the same internal? The 300tdi front casing is quite nice so I think I will use that for the front, diff feels good too though I will dismantle and check it when I have the axle stripped for blasting. All the rears are fairly rusty so will pick the better of the disco ones. 

IMG_2550.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Great work so far. :) 

What type of bushes have you used for the body mounts, as I've only seen the cheapo pattern ones available and they seem to be made of super hard rubber? It would be good to know of another option. 

Cheers, Steve