OM606 Range Rover Classic Restoration and Build

Prob will do! A while away yet though! Really scratching my head about turbos at the moment. Thinking the hx35w is a smidge large, but it's quite a tricky engine to size a turbo for as its rpm capability throws it straight off the top of the compressor map for most smaller turbos. I think the holset vnt from a 24v cummins Dodge Ram with a controller on it could do the trick but lots of money!

Interesting! Think I want an easy life though! I have seen a few vnt controllers out there but most are still in development and I don't really want hassle as it will be my main vehicle! I'm not averse to this sort of adventure but I spend my days doing this sort of thing for customers so fancied something simple for my own car lol

On ‎25‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 2:43 PM, 30psi said:

Ace project, looking good so far! Do you need an apprentice? :P I'm scared of auto transmissions but considering a th400 coupled with the om606 now!

Better keep the Merc box combined with a LT230 instead of that ancient yank-box.. :-)

• Like 1

On ‎22‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:58 PM, retropower said:

Prob will do! A while away yet though! Really scratching my head about turbos at the moment. Thinking the hx35w is a smidge large, but it's quite a tricky engine to size a turbo for as its rpm capability throws it straight off the top of the compressor map for most smaller turbos. I think the holset vnt from a 24v cummins Dodge Ram with a controller on it could do the trick but lots of money!

Or use the original turbo in combination with the mother of all waste gates (D=60mm) to bypass and to feed a bigger turbo.

Other option is to use two original ones and switching from one to two at work when rpm rises. :)

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, Carloz said:

Better keep the Merc box combined with a LT230 instead of that ancient yank-box.. :-)

Arggh now I'm tempted just to go for an R380 or get Ashcroft to make me a 'bulletproof' one. Would love in the region of 400hp but not sure an R380 could be built to take that, so many complications and expenses with the merc 6-speed manual. Gah!

19 hours ago, 30psi said:

Arggh now I'm tempted just to go for an R380 or get Ashcroft to make me a 'bulletproof' one. Would love in the region of 400hp but not sure an R380 could be built to take that, so many complications and expenses with the merc 6-speed manual. Gah!

I was talking about the Merc auto-box compared with a TH400.. :-)  But the right used Merc manual box will handle the torque much more reliable and cost effective than a fresh build and beefed up R380....

If you keep the torque below 450Nm an Ashcroft R380 kan survive for reasonable time so far I can figure out. That should be 50K+

400HP and 450Nm must be possible with a (real!!) boost controller to chop the destructive torque peak off. (And no, that is not a hand adjusted air bleed!)

Will be interesting to see how the r380 fares. I know they don't have a good reputation but dimensionally they should be capable of a pretty decent torque level. I "think" that a lot of the weakness is poor quality of manufacture, coupled with a few undersized components. We will see. The cost of finding out isn't too dramatic. Still more money than I wanted to waste though! I've looked into the Mercedes options and they don't look much better in terms of manual boxes. The ml 6 speed was weak enough (rated to 360nm) that merc derated the engine on the diesel ml on the manual version.

IMG_2993.thumb.JPG.8621db190a7549116c57ac961054776f.JPGAnother few hours done. Finished blocking roof. Etch and high build then 320grit dry and 800grit wet, few bits to nitpick but close now. Also repaired the alloy rot on both rear 1/4 panels and tig brazed up the pinholes in one of the rear steel corner sections. New lower tailgate has had its debt pulled and now looks like a brand new one. I've never seen one with NO rust before!!! Must get a pic of that lol!!

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2992.JPG

Edited by retropower
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, retropower said:

...Also repaired the alloy rot on both rear 1/4 panels and tig brazed up the pinholes in one of the rear steel corner sections. 

This is deadly! When you say R380 are you talking about long stick version? Also would love to know, how are you repairing the alloy rot? My rear qtrs are dodgy too [not now Soren :D]

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, Carloz said:

I was talking about the Merc auto-box compared with a TH400.. :-)  But the right used Merc manual box will handle the torque much more reliable and cost effective than a fresh build and beefed up R380....

If you keep the torque below 450Nm an Ashcroft R380 kan survive for reasonable time so far I can figure out. That should be 50K+

400HP and 450Nm must be possible with a (real!!) boost controller to chop the destructive torque peak off. (And no, that is not a hand adjusted air bleed!)

I don't like the sound of 'chopping' torque, I love torque!! Haha

Black Smoke Racing have used a TKO600 in their Mercedes drift wagon. I'd be after a bulletproof setup if done properly and definitely prefer manual so it's looking like a T5 with adaptor might work as has been mentioned. I thought merc 6-speed manual boxes were hells tough? Specifically one's out the 320cdi?

Yea the merc 6 speed (320cdi) is tough from the Ines I've seen, but the gears are smaller than r380 ones and it's only rated to 360nm so less than r380. I don't know the "best" solution but I build a lot of vehicles and I like to find out stuff for myself. As far as I can see r380 failures are either snapped mainshaft on disco 1 boxes due to cross drillings or snapped layshaft due to stupid tiny 5th gear extension support bearings. All the rest got updated over the years, particularly for suffix L td5 boxes, but it's like Land Rover never ran a test mule in 5th gear and had the scale wrong in the drawing at some stage with the rear bearing pair. With these uprated I don't "see" why there should be a problem, but that's scuppered it now saying that lol