OM606 Range Rover Classic Restoration and Build

Cheers! I've used aftermarket fairly cheaply polyurethane body mounts (duraflex) with new hardware. I suspect they may well be a bit over firm and noisy but we will see! I didn't know that super pro did them until after I'd already got the others. I would have used the superpro ones if I'd known as they seem very good at using quite soft urethane compounds

Edited by retropower

Hi, following this build with interest and fantastic job on the body/chassis!! I'm planning on putting an om606 into a 110 and would love to go the whole hog like you have renovating the vehicle, if the budget allows! Am also planning on getting a Dieselmeken/DPUK pump and Holset HX30 or 40 size turbo but not sure if major lag would be an issue. Have looked at Gaz Fab's adaptor but after having an LT77 behind a highly modified 200tdi, I'd like to go with a Merc or possibly BMW gearbox.

Keep it up!

9 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

SuperPro body mounts are very good

With my business hat on rather than my "own car" hat, we only use super pro bushes on our vehicle builds unless there is no option (rare since they can usually adapt something if there is nothing in their catalogue) they are a great outfit to work with. Their md (who is Australian and happened to be over here on business) visited us in person when we became stockists, proper company!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 30psi said:

Hi, following this build with interest and fantastic job on the body/chassis!! I'm planning on putting an om606 into a 110 and would love to go the whole hog like you have renovating the vehicle, if the budget allows! Am also planning on getting a Dieselmeken/DPUK pump and Holset HX30 or 40 size turbo but not sure if major lag would be an issue. Have looked at Gaz Fab's adaptor but after having an LT77 behind a highly modified 200tdi, I'd like to go with a Merc or possibly BMW gearbox.

Keep it up!

Cheers! I have an hx35w with 12cm exhaust housing sat waiting but I'm going to use the stock turbo for a start, but yes, with dieselmeken 7.5mm pump. I'm throwing my hat into the r380 ring and hoping it will hold together. Fundamentally it should be capable of taking the torque as it is suitably dimensioned in most critical areas. It will be rebuilt with bigger 5th gear housing bearings, new synchros etc and a sleeved lt230 transfer box. Fingers crossed. Any alternative is a fair undertaking to achieve and I wanted it to be pretty stock looking! There are certainly a couple of folks running om606 on r380 boxes. I'm also using a td5 suffix L gearbox with the stronger mainshaft

Edited by retropower

On 6/22/2017 at 8:56 PM, retropower said:

Cheers! I've used aftermarket fairly cheaply polyurethane body mounts (duraflex) with new hardware. I suspect they may well be a bit over firm and noisy but we will see! I didn't know that super pro did them until after I'd already got the others. I would have used the superpro ones if I'd known as they seem very good at using quite soft urethane compounds

21 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

SuperPro body mounts are very good

Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't aware that Superpro did body mounts too. I'll order ten of those, as I'm not impressed with the available rubber mounts as they are markedly different to factory ones and significantly harder. 

I've already used corroless S & rf16 on body & chassis, but I've also bought Upol Raptor to coat some of the plastics like the vents, sill covers/bars etc. and potentially as an underseal on body & underside of inner wings. Not sure whether it's hardy enough for this type of use, or whether I should use dinitrol for the underseal. 

Cheers

Steve

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0366.JPG

On 2017-6-22 at 8:56 PM, retropower said:

I know him quite well. SuperPro Europe are based in my village 

5 hours ago, Santa said:

Nice build!!  Here is the Rakeway adaptor I'm using to mate a Merc 606 + ML722.6 box to an LT230.  Its going into a Volvo C304 6X6

Cheers

Nick

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

We need a build thread for this I came quite close to buying a C304 once.

Mike

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

We need a build thread for this I came quite close to buying a C304 once.

Mike

Happy to start one but it will be a while as still collecting the bits. There are two of us here in Melbourne doing the same conversion 

cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Just got round to reading this thread Retropower , very nice work on the body and chassis . The OM606 conversion is an interesting option and I think your choice of working up from a relatively low state of tune is worthwhile too , after all it's a fair upgrade anyway . I'm also enjoying the classic steel in the background of some shots :).

@Santa  a build thread would be excellent please

Great to see RRC's being preserved , the only real Range Rover :)

cheers

Steve b

On 6/24/2017 at 10:47 AM, SteveG said:

Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't aware that Superpro did body mounts too. I'll order ten of those, as I'm not impressed with the available rubber mounts as they are markedly different to factory ones and significantly harder. 

Maybe not, the SuperPro body mount bush kit, SPF1788K, is £17.50 for a pair of bushes for a single body mount. So £175 to do the 10 body mounts on a range rover classic.

9 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

If I wasn't married, I would take that adaptor out for drinks and a meal...

Yes like all good women - not cheap!!  Best to give Rakeway a call re price because that is the first one he made so price could change and being from Aust I did not pay VAT

Nick

Ah... there's the sound of a man so in love, he won't even divulge how much she cost :P:) 

Sorry for the OT-ish bits, back to your build, that sheet metal work on the rear half of the body looks stunning!

You mention that there was something amiss with the chassis... the only thing I can see is some LPG tank straps (on a diesel.....?), was there something else?

• Like 1

Nice work Retro. You know that you could also run the electronic pump from the ECU (if you have it), its what i've done. Its not that difficult to de-immoblise the ECU and using the loom from the donor.
There's various discussion on mech vs elec, but my understanding is that elec gives better economy and smoothness. Of course some want mech for simplicity, but i like that i have diagnostics.

On 26/06/2017 at 7:56 AM, Santa said:

Happy to start one but it will be a while as still collecting the bits. There are two of us here in Melbourne doing the same conversion 

cheers

Nick

Please do! 

I'm (slowly) doing the same conversion so I'd be interested to see what rakeway have done for the shaft? as that's the next bit for me drive-train wise. How long is their adaptor face to face? Edited to add that I've machined my own adaptor, albeit no where near as pretty! 

7 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Please do! 

I'm (slowly) doing the same conversion so I'd be interested to see what rakeway have done for the shaft? as that's the next bit for me drive-train wise. How long is their adaptor face to face? Edited to add that I've machined my own adaptor, albeit no where near as pretty! 

The adaptor is 160mm face to face so with ML box total is 700mm. I havn't got the shaft yet as I've asked them increase the diameter of the shaft and respline my input gear from the 10 spline LR to a larger diameter greater spline count that they do for the tremec manual box.  The Volvo 6X6 will be about 3 ton in weight with camper box on the back so I wanted a beefy shaft for the 606 torque, this could be overkill but I wanted the drive-train as reliable as possible.  Will post some pics when I get the shaft