OM606 Range Rover Classic Restoration and Build

On 30/07/2017 at 3:04 PM, Shackleton said:

This is deadly! When you say R380 are you talking about long stick version? Also would love to know, how are you repairing the alloy rot? My rear qtrs are dodgy too [not now Soren :D]

Hi, no im using short stick r380 from a discovery 2 td5. Rebuilt and modified with larger rear bearings. With the panels I'm repairing them just the same as I would with steel ones. Cut out the rotten bits, make up new bits in ns4 aluminium and tig weld them in, body file flat, bit of filler to tidy up

• Like 1

Whether it's got the same properties after welding I don't know, but it definitely welds surprisingly nicely! I used 4043 rod (again, whether that's correct I don't know but it worked for me and the welds panel beat ok without splitting)

the r380 isn't any different between long and short stick internally. Big change between suffix j box and suffix k and L though 

Thanks!

Going a metallic jaguar grey for the panelwork, early type grille and headlamp surrounds in Matt black, fabricating ends for the later steel bumpers to get rid of the plastic corner bits and then they will go Matt black too. Losing the side rubbing strips. Will be fitting Matt black 8" x 18" boost type alloys

Edited by retropower
  • Like 2

Cheers!!! Just wish I had more time to spend on it! Ah well, trying to get 1/4 panels, rear corners, sunroof panel and lower tailgate prepped this coming Saturday. I'm kidding myself if I think all that will get done, but you've got to aim high lol!!

• Like 1

Ruddy long day on it today. Brazed up holes in rear corners, tig welded patches into bad rear corner. Filled rear corners, straightened and filled quarters, blocked everything flat. Re-filled quarters twice more (being ba******) blocked each time, all in Upol D so no sinkage but bugger to sand.

IMG_3085.JPG

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3091.JPG

20 hours ago, 30psi said:

Will it be ready for Peterborough? :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I think the 6-speed from a BMW 330d would be the ultimate manual box. Time to get saving!

Funnily enough we have an E91 330d manual, but it's in the 330d lol and I think I better leave it there as it's my wife's daily car! What's at Peterborough and when (remember I'm not really a Land Rover person, im new to all this shenanigans!!)  

i think it will be getting there by early winter, but I doubt it will be fully up and running until spring next yr or so. Have to remember that although this is the only car I'm building for myself, im building around 15 customer projects all from the ground up (much more so than my Range Rover!!!) and in a lot more detail so my brain gets a bit frazzled

Assuming you work on your own vehicles at the weekend, I take you just work weekdays at retropower. If that's correct, would you ever consider renting out your paint booth at the weekends, when not in use? Just booth and air feed needed, I have gun, mask etc.

It would be handy having access to a booth, when I need to 2K the top coat and clear.

cheers

steve

• 2 months later...

Got a few excuses though for the slow progress, amongst the vehicles we are building is one for car designer Gordon Murray which is understandably occupying some of my brain plus we are in the current months “car” magazine. We’ve been in many magazines but not a big mainstream one before. Nicely written article too! Here’s a couple of pages from it! 

0FF4E578-DD68-467D-A35D-3E5613824D41.jpeg

5F11DA62-1641-4F38-90DD-BB9FCA8FBDF1.jpeg

C2896071-E2DF-4A35-B256-276C7D85AF22.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Hmmmm lancia stratos....i need a moment I'll be back shortly......

Mike

I'm still imagining the 330bhp Alfa Guilia  mentioned in the text. :wub: Might have to head to the newsagents later in the hope of more detail!

(Besides, I'll never fit in the Stratos without major surgery)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TSD said:

I'm still imagining the 330bhp Alfa Guilia  mentioned in the text. :wub: Might have to head to the newsagents later in the hope of more detail!

(Besides, I'll never fit in the Stratos without major surgery)

The guilia is rather nice! 2.7ltr millington engine and sadev 6 speed sequential box plus carbon panels with a lot of careful prep so you can’t tell they are carbon! :-)

The stratos engine is an Alfa 3.2 24v v6 with forged pistons and steel rods and an Eaton m112 supercharger from a v8 jaguar and fabricated charge cooled inlet manifold etc etc. should make 450hp ish and completely flat torque curve. Did a similar setup on a 2ltr Vauxhall xe using an m90 xjr6 jag blower and it made 85% of its peak torque everywhere from 1800rpm to 7000rpm!!

20 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Nice one! 

Well deserved going by the quality of the work on the Rangie! :D:wub:

Thanks! To be honest the rangey is a bit rough n ready by comparison as it’s my own so I can get away with the odd shortcut. Nothing silly obviously but my metalwork on customer stuff is rather nicer but somewhat slower!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, retropower said:

To be honest the rangey is a bit rough n ready by comparison

Seriously? Have you looked around the rest of this forum? :lol:

Plenty of 'fully restored' vehicles out there that look like scrapyard finds compared to what I've seen in this thread so far.