Alternatives to traditional leisure batteries?

reb78

I keep looking at my 110 and thinking of the National Luna Fridge and a few other low powered accessories that we run off of it whilst camping (Phone chargers, lights etc - nothing critical). The main battery will run the fridge for a few days without any worries, but it would be nice to have a second power source for this so we dont have to worry about flattening the starter battery. Due to the current configuration of the truck, finding the space to squeeze in another lead acid leisure or gel leisure battery is tricky.

So, given the advances in battery technology in recent years, are there other viable alternatives that would fit my need, but can be had in different/smaller sizes to the more traditional batteries? Would still like to be able to charge off of the vehicle when the engine is running.

A std. 12v leisure battery is still going to give you most bang for your buck and ease of charging. Are you sure you don't have room for something in your 110? There's plenty of places you can squeeze a battery - some people manage 3 batteries in the original battery box!

The solution on our 127 was a cradle on the chassis behind the seatbox outrigger. On the 109 I had two small Hawker red-tops in the "roll" of the rear body in front of the fuel filler, hardly stuck in at all.