Defender TD5 won't start - No glow plug or engine light

I'm have a bit of trouble with my trusty old Defender TD5 from 2000

The trouble started last week when it suddenly wouldn't start. All I got was no cranking over and rapid ticking from the starter. 

It have acted like that once before - which turned out to be a bad earth connection on the starter, so that was the first thing I checked. I also checked and cleaned all the other connection while under there. It turned out to be a dead battery instead. Easy fix. 

Then after I couple of days it wouldn't start again. But this time it cranks over like it should, but now I have no yellow glow plug or engine light when turning the key. The purring from the pump in the back is obviously also gone too. 

Here is what I have done so far which turned out fine (or at least I think so):

• Checked and cleaned the earth points underneath and under the seat (ECU)
  • Checked all the relays for corrosion
  • Checked all the fuses for corrosion
  • Checked the ECU for oil (There was a tiny hint of oil, but I doubt thats the sinner)
  • Checked the fuelpump by bypassing the relay
  • It can't be the immobiliser as it doesn't have one.
  • Battery, it's brand new.

The temperature gauge moves a bit when I turn the key, but the goes straight back down to blue (C) again. 

If I remove the 30A Main Relay fuses under the seat and turn the key the temperature gauge goes into red (H) when the key is turned. 

I must have read everything there is on this topic, but still stuck so I would appreciate any pointers. 

I have attached a few images of the relays and ECU if thats any help.

Thanks

Jens

IMG_1702.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Edited by Jens

The main earth is a black rubberized strip from the chassis to the transfer box, check it's making a good contact.

In fact for all the time it takes I'd suggest removing it, sand and clean the lugs before reattaching it.

Edited by gerrymc123

Thanks gerry, but I have already cleaned and sanded all the earth point without any luck. Looks like I will have to get it towed to the repair shop and get it looked at. 

What model type is it?

Hopefully still a sticker on it... (Something like  NNN000120)

Then search ebay etc. for one for sale of same model number.

Find a friend with Nanocom or similar and then it can be programmed for key and alarm codes etc.