If it is just another gear you want - why not fit an overdrive ?

Less money and much easier...

.... and the I don't think the 6-speeds box will ratio wise do much good to the V8's performance

On 2017-5-30 at 1:40 PM, Biglandyv8 said:

Hi been a fan of Landrover defender so I bought 1 . ? Can I fit a tdv6 manual box to a 3.5 Range Rover engine ??if so whose dunnit help me what's involved just want another gear

Not easily or cheaply. Real world answer is no. But with enough time and money, you can do pretty much anything.

Maybe you could expand a little on why you want to do it, what you want to achieve and what vehicle you have exactly.

Before committing to the work I'd be checking the numbers.

From what I recall the overall ratio spread of the Tdci box is about the same as an R380, but with 6 speeds to choose from rather than 5.

Is it really worth the time and money spent making a TDV6 box fit if the gearing will remain pretty much the same as an R380 which will fit behind the engine with bolt on components?

If strength is your concern, then there are a few off the shelf upgrades for the R380 which makes them somewhat hardier, but truth be told, a good one really shouldn't be troubled by a 3.5 V8. 

If you want to do it for the acclaim of being able to say 'I did it' then go for it. I'd suggest looking up Reece Myers in the Cummins Land Rover group on Facebooks as he experimented with the TDV6 box and adapted one to an LT230 at one point. 

I'll not go too far into the engine debate, but an old 3.5 isn't the best option anymore, and a £500 engine can quite easily consume the same again (and more) in parts for a good quality rebuild if required.