Land rover lightweight

oz4aex

Been through the mill on this one....

I found some were wired up wrong, one was a 12v gauge, but even with a 24v gauge, it was wrong.

In the end, I pulled the needle off the gauge, and pushed it back on in the right place :P

It could be that the wires to the sender units are shorting out on the engine or bulkhead.  It is also possible that the senders are mismatched to the gauges, or that the gauges have been damaged by incorrect voltage being applied (eg. welding without the wiring being disconnected from the battery and generator). 

I had issues with the oil temperature gauge on a 24v Lightweight.  If I recall correctly, the senders are the same as on the 12v models, and the gauges are different (look the same from the front, but electrically different and don't use a voltage stabiliser like the 12v gauges).  It could be that someone has fitted 12v gauges to your dash.

Yup snagger is right, the 24V gauges have a shunt resistor soldered onto the back of them, and have different part numbers compared to the 12V versions.

The sender's are the same as on 12V vehicles.

Not sure if it will be the same on a series vehicle as my 110 but I had some problems getting sensible readings from the engine temperature gauge. It would go to the top of the red section within a couple of minutes of starting the engine. The "fix" was to earth the metal case of the gauge. 

The earth for gauges is normally under one of the knurled nuts that hold the gauge in place, so that shouldn't be an issue, so yes you are right, it does need earthing, or the shunt won't work!

Thanks. 

To be honest it was not the case that the earth was missing, neither had it become detached, it was simply that the knurled nut had worked loose.

I was worried because the ambient temperatures were over 37 Deg C and I thought I had a cooling problem