Defender 90 Rear prop alignment

Hi Chaps,

Been having a few vibrations ever since it want back on the road, so time to try and sort it out, 

It's through the tranmission mainly on acceleration between 35-60, removed the rear prop and its very slightly out of alignment by about 5-10 degrees where they are supposed to be in-line, no matter how how move it around it won't line up. surprised I missed it when putting it together TBH

So could this be the cause or be at least adding to it anyway ?

and as the prop was bought 2nd hand could it be a front which is supposed to be mis aligned albeit by much more sold as a rear/ or a mis-matched - cobbled one one ?

Cheers

I think you need to buy another prop. As far as I can tell 200tdi and earlier 90s have the same length prop front and rear though the front is misaligned. From memory the front prop can be aligned so I would suggest yours is twisted/badly made. 

Red90 I was under the impression that 90° was still out of line and therefore create a vibration.

Mike 

Thanks for the replies, bit the bullet and ordered one from Gwyn Lewis, cant be having with faffing about, hopefully it'll cure it, knowing my luck however it prob wont make any difference :ph34r::lol:

• Like 1

Just to confirm my understanding, Les, it's the yolks that are slightly misaligned due tot he slip joint splines, not the diff and transfer box flanges out of parallel?  If the former, then as others surmised, I suspect a twisted shaft or one made from two damaged shafts, and a new standard replacement will do the job.  If the latter, then I'd recommend speaking to Bailey Morris, who'd make a specifically phased shaft for your specific dimensions - suspension lifts and transmission/engine relocation commonly cause these issues and they're used to dealing with it.

On 03/06/2017 at 2:37 PM, Snagger said:

Just to confirm my understanding, Les, it's the yolks that are slightly misaligned due tot he slip joint splines, not the diff and transfer box flanges out of parallel?  If the former, then as others surmised, I suspect a twisted shaft or one made from two damaged shafts, and a new standard replacement will do the job.  If the latter, then I'd recommend speaking to Bailey Morris, who'd make a specifically phased shaft for your specific dimensions - suspension lifts and transmission/engine relocation commonly cause these issues and they're used to dealing with it.

Yes - its the yokes that will not align by roughly 5 degrees, the nose of the diff does angle very slightly upwards due to the King set up, but no more that the tray back used to and that was fine with a normal rear prop in, looks like I picked up a old dog one TBH, the one from Gwyn was ordered late Friday and it arrived by 11am this morning cant ask for better than that :D

• Like 2