D2 V8 PAS pipe replacement QEP105481

tychoS

Hello

LHD DiscoII V8 2002

How do I get the old PAS pipe out and the new one in?

Partnumber QEP105480 superceeded to QEP105481

On the LHD model the PAS pump is located above the steering box, so Land Rover, in their wisdom, decided to connect the two via a steel pipe going out to the front, past the left side of the radiators and all the way across the frontmember of the chassis and back the same away. I suppose this routing is for the purpose of cooling the PAS fluid, as the pipe is sitting in the airstream to the rear radiator.

It appears as if the pipe was fitted before the radiators, and I fear I will have to remove the radiators, at least the rearmost one in order to get the new pipe into position, but I hope someone has done it before and found a smarter way..

BTW. the reason for the replacement is that the pipe is rusted through and leaking PAS fluid all over the place and draining the reservoir. The rust is where the pipe is supported from the crossmembers. Apparently the supports are designed to catch & trap rainwater and salty water in winters time. When I started mucking with the pipe to see if I could somehow get it out, it broke clear off at one of the supports - the only remaining metal in the PAS pipe at that point is razor thin.

P1070201_800.jpg

P1070197_800.jpg

P1070199_800.jpg

I found a solution.

Unscrew and remove two little brackets on either side, by unscrewing three little bolts on either side, located behind the horns. See the shiny spots in the photos and the brackets after removal.

This disconnects the rearmost three radiators from the front radiator and from the rest of the car. Without disconnecting any hoses or pipes, and without draining any fluids from radiators, you can now lift the three radiators up a certain distance. See the picture with the plastic bit acting as temporary support for the three radiators. that gives an idea of how much clearance over the front crossmember you will gain-

By tilting the three radiators against the front radiator at the bottom, you can squeeze the plastic cowling around the viscous fan past the fan and remove it from the engine compartment.

Now place the new pipe behind the radiator, lift up the three radiators as far as they will go with both hands, while wiggling the pipes and their akward supports underneath the three radiators until the supports are at the front side of the front chassis crossmember.

Connect the pipeends to the steering box and the servo pump. Bolt the two annoying watercollecting supports to the front crossmember, and you are done with the hard bit of the job.

Put the radiators back into their proper supported position. Pour fresh PAS fluid into the reservoir. Turn on the engine and bleed the system free from air via the bleed screw on the steering box. Turn off the engine. Refill PAS fluid to the max mark. Put everything back in the order you took them off.

In the picture of the old pipe, notice the broken end. The bracket laying next to the broken end was sitting on the pipe at the end. The pipe broke at one side of the bracket when I started fiddling with it, and you see how the pipe is narrow from corrosion right where it exited the other side of the bracket. The broken end of the pipe has razor thin walls.

The small hoseclamps and cableties on top of some self-vulcanising tape was what got me and the Doscovery home when the pipe burst under the other support bracket.

P1070210_800.jpg

P1070204_800.jpg

P1070205_800.jpg

P1070206_800.jpg

P1070203_800.jpg