Fault Diagnoses

muttleyd

Right well its been a while. Apologes for only appearing when I have problems.

The Landie has been buried under a pile of stuff for a while and has only covered 32 miles since its last mot. Eeeek.

Anyway decided to bite the bullet and MOT ready for the summer, now it has finished its role as a storage role as a shelf for the bits for various other DIY and home projects.

Anyway a quick run down the road and all seemed well and dropped off at the local garage.

Anxious wait, and finally came the call. Its passed (Yayyy), but....... does the fuel gauge lie. Well yes a bit was the reply, but it had half a tank and it doesn't need that for an MOT even though its a V8 with a tiny tank. Why I asked. Well it appeared the garage and run it up the road outside to do the brake test and as they got to the top it spluttered and wouldn't rev, so they coasted back down the hill and parked it up wondering if it had run out of fuel.

Thought not but they had a look. Anyway they disconnected the coolant sensor and said it seemed to rev if a bit spluttery. So picked it up and limped home. Really didn't think it would make it coughing its way up the slope to home.

Well parked it in the garage in disgust and allowed it to resume its role as a storage cupboard.

After looking at it for a few days thought I better have another go, so found my old laptop which I had used previously booted it up and got an error saying 'Invalid configuration - run setup'. Right so that's not going to work then. Resort to second laptop scrabble around trying to find the disk and usb driver email from Nigel and see if I can remember how to change the config so it reads in Celsius not Fahrenheit and find out which port it wants to talk to.

Anyway after a bit of messing plugged in fired up (laptop at least) and see if its the sensors. Well it all appears ok but it doesn't really want to run. It coughs and splutters and doesn't want to go.

Cant see anything wrong see pics and log attached. So thinking it may be more mechanical (my superstitious mind distrusts electronics, but disliked the carbs more) Wondering if its fuel pump or regulator, though can hear the pump cut in and stop.

Any thoughts, as I it would be nice to make more use of the old heap this year.

datalog201706041240.xls

Screenshot 2017-06-04 12.33.30.png

I think MAP, TPS, CLT, MAT all appear to be OK, though it is a little difficult to see exactly what is going on in a running condition as there appears to be a load of starts and stalls going on in the log, any chance of getting one that is running for a while at varying RPMs?

MAP hose is connected. Won't run long enough unfortunately to get a decent log. Thinking it must be more mechanical. Do have a spare regulator which I might try. See if I can borrow a gauge to measure fuel pressure to see if it's the pump.

Just a thought - do you have spark on all 8 plugs? I just say this as I have just had another EDIS coilpack failure last week. It doesn't happen often considering I always buy used coils, about 4 failures in the last 9 years, 5 of those years the 90 was my daily.  

When they go they vary between fine one minute and dead the next or (luckily for me this time) they give an annoying misfire under load but the car will still run.

I say lucky as I was driving through the M3 "Smart motorway" upgrade on the way to work. Driving along wondering if you are about to come to a grinding halt with no hard shoulder is no fun at all...

*edit - even with outright coilpack failure you will still usually have a running engine, albeit one that sounds like a tractor, will barely rev, and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. 

Thanks for all the input. A bit of time today has cleared up the problem. The fuel pump wasn't delivering much fuel. So after pulling it out the hose and become disconnected the filter end had broken. It's an underseal tank with a modified/extended range rover pump. So a new modified pump has been fitted and she fired up like a dream. Perhaps my wiring ain't so bad after all. Just need to fix the laptop now

Good news :)

For the laptop, just enter setup, set date and time and reboot.

Proper fix is to replace BIOS battery, which are a quid or two on eBay, until you do that, you will need to set time and date each time you boot.