RRC Rear Springs

94softdash

Hi,  I'm looking to replace the rear springs on my Softdash Rangie Classic as it seems to have the heavy duty type fitted (red & white stripe), and the back end is very stiff and bouncy.  According to the parts manual the Softdash's have different rear springs fitted to any other Classic but they are twice the price and I was wondering what the ditterence is and if I could just fit the normal rears from any other Classic.

Cheers for the advice.

My experience  so far.

1987 RRC 2 door I bought it with 4HD springs (Boge strut dead)  standard height  17mm dia wire.The ride was very harsh and noisy  but it was the correct height front and back  and it handled the trailer (3.5t) well with little sag. I put standard front springs on and the ride and handling improved.  I then put what I believe were  original rear springs off a 4dr (15mm wire) and the sag was at least 5cm at the rear wheel arch.  The ride was much smoother but it needs the boge strut working to maintain the height and towing the trailer with these springs , never again.  I have ordered some D2 rear springs (16mm wire progressive rate)  to see if that will give a reasonable ride and handle the trailer correctly.

1982 RRC 2 door with 6cyl diesel and hd springs and dead boge strut . I have put D1 standard rate progressive springs on the rear . Height , ride and handling is probably as good as one can get without the boge strut.

I will see if there is a difference with the D2 springs compared to D1.  The D1 spring needs to be a slightly higher rate for towing but gives a reasonable ride solo.The real solution is a working boge strut for the self leveling and comfort,  anything else is a compromise unfortunately. I used to drive a Citroen XM so miss the self leveling suspension.

p.s.  I have at least 4 boge struts awating a repair solution so that I can have my original ride quality back!

I have police spec rear springs on my soft dash (fitted by the previous owner).  They're probably a good deal firmer than standard, but it rides very well, I think, and less harshly than I remember the airsprung SE that I test drove while searching.  It gives a slightly sporty poise, similar to a first generation RR Sport.  I like them.

21 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

Police spec are red/white

Might I suggest Discovery 1 spec medium weight OME's

Good to know they are an easily sourced HD spec, not a rare special spec.  Mine are well covered in Schutz, so I have never seen the markings. Great and horrible stuff at the same time!  At least it covers up the orange on the DeCarbons (also PO installed). The PO was going to fit matching front springs but never got around to it.  He stumbled across them years later and offered them to me.  I suppose I should have taken them for spares or to sell on, but I declines as I really like it the way it is.

I know. It's quite frustrating to have found something that you know is right, that does the job properly and doesn't cost the earth; then to have it simply disappear due to lack of sales/interest.

Britpart do make a copy but it's really not very good, goes soft really quick

• 2 months later...

I have a 94 rrc. Air suspension failed, and after much replacement of parts, eventually reluctantly opted for

britpart replacement coil springs. Car is level and ride OK, but when towing back too low despite optimising noseweight. One option is to fit stronger springs, but I am advised that unladen and now towing ride would probably be horrendous.

An option may be to fit the rear centrL assisted as fitted to earlier rrc, which automatically compensated for load. This worked fine on my previous 84 d reg..

Does anyone know whether the 94 still has the necessary fittings/ bolt holes etc to fit one, and where an assisted, assume second hand could be obtained?

I assume you're referring to the Boge load-leveller, which is almost unknown second-hand, and though they do turn up occasionally would need a rebuilt by now. There was a place here in Australia which rebuilt them. However, I'm not even sure your model of Range Rover would have the mount on the chassis. (Though I do have an old '92 which does, even though it came with EAS!) 

Replacing rear springs and shocks is often a long and annoying experiment for many Range Rover owners but it is possible to upgrade what you've got without it making the ride too harsh. There are progressive rate springs and adjustable shocks. I've got some used Koni shocks on mine, for instance, and am onto the third pair of springs on the back as well. I did have helper air bags and that might work for you, too. All this experimenting takes time and money but is worth it to keep that wonderful ride these things are known for. 

• 3 years later...

Just a thread resurrection ....a few years on.   I've had the Boge on my RRC reconditioned by ZF in Germany - they own Boge now.  They do a heritage programme  - it wasn't cheap (about 900 euro), but it's restored the original self adjustment.  Cost depends on how shagged the original item is.

Try looking here - ZF Tradition - ZF  You're looking for the Nivomat shocks section.  They used them on old Mercs as well.

Good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2017 at 3:54 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

I'm surprised there aren't more companies that will rebuild them - I'd have thought there's a market for it beyond just Australia!

I've a vague recollection that a company in the UK that re-cons/services Citroen suspension can rebuild the Bose, but this was a while ago & I can't recall the details.