Td5/300tdi wipers / bulkhead help please

21 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The drive gears in the motors are different too if I recall correctly. To get the right sweep you'll need to match a Td5 drive gear to the Td5 wheelboxes.

You'll also need to be careful with the gear as usually a Td5 motor is set to start on a 'pull' stroke, the rack being on the bottom of the wheelbox gears, whereas a Tdi one starts off on a 'push'. Would be worth double checking before turning it on and something maybe stripping or snapping if it's wrong

Yes, I am doing a similar rebuild, fitting the later TD5 wiper boxes with the earlier 300Tdi motor and position. My bulkhead is the early TD5 version (with motor in same position as 300Tdi), so I knew the top dash centre mount would need modification. I had also realised I needed to change the motor gear but hadn't realised the push/pull issue. Luckily no windscreen in yet and the wipers were hinged back. The push/pull issue is resolved by moving the cam on the gear for the park switch, to the "other" position on the gear/180 degrees from its TD5 position.

Madmatt - fit the Td5 wheelboxes with cable at the top.

You will need to drill the dash top centre mount for the drive tube to fit through. I did this before my bulkhead was galvanised by actually cutting away the metal in the way. Get some cold zinc galvanising spray to "repair" the finish on yours. The original galvanising will stop any future corrosion - especially as its "inside". The spray will protect the raw edges.

Get the Td5 gear for the original motor, but move the park ramp 180 degrees. Use the original Tdi drive tubes and cables - although I would fit a new one.

You can then use the later TD5 bolt on wiper arms, rather than the useless earlier type with the splined drums.

Edited by simonb

45 minutes ago, simonb said:

Yes, I am doing a similar rebuild, fitting the later TD5 wiper boxes with the earlier 300Tdi motor and position. My bulkhead is the early TD5 version (with motor in same position as 300Tdi), so I knew the top dash centre mount would need modification. I had also realised I needed to change the motor gear but hadn't realised the push/pull issue. Luckily no windscreen in yet and the wipers were hinged back. The push/pull issue is resolved by moving the cam on the gear for the park switch, to the "other" position on the gear/180 degrees from its TD5 position.

Madmatt - fit the Td5 wheelboxes with cable at the top.

You will need to drill the dash top centre mount for the drive tube to fit through. I did this before my bulkhead was galvanised by actually cutting away the metal in the way. Get some cold zinc galvanising spray to "repair" the finish on yours. The original galvanising will stop any future corrosion - especially as its "inside". The spray will protect the raw edges.

Get the Td5 gear for the original motor, but move the park ramp 180 degrees. Use the original Tdi drive tubes and cables - although I would fit a new one.

You can then use the later TD5 bolt on wiper arms, rather than the useless earlier type with the splined drums.

Many thanks for the reply i have already done everything, mine is back on the road, i just need to wip the wiper motor off and sort the gear out when it arrives. Sadly i didn't have the luxury of modifying bulkhead prior to galv as i bought the bulkhead from a well known supplier of galvanised bulkheads and it wasn't untill it was bolted to my chassis and we started swapping bits we noticed the problem.