Wheel spacers?

They increase loadings on wheel bearings and steering components, so can lead to faster wear, but regular maintenance should detect this.  The biggest issue is that any difference in the individual brake performance, tyre pattern, tyre pressure or surface grip will produce an amount of pull now that the tyre contact patch is not aligned with the swivel pins, as will hitting potholes or other uneven surfaces.  It shouldn't be a problem, but is worth knowing.  It's no different with heavily offset wheels.

I cant say Ive seen any deterioration in either handling or wear, and ive got them on 2 vehicles - Previously I was using Forward Control rims which exhibit the same effect.

In 10 years of driving my V8 Stage 1 S111 - as a daily driver (and for work) I didnt have to replace the wheel bearings (running Forward Control Rims NB Not 1 ton rims) 

We have 3 LR's and all 3 have 30 mm spacers for 10 years + from Kenson in Wednesbury.

No problems.

Make sure you get the best quality you can afford.

Or don't get them at all.

9 hours ago, gerrymc123 said:

Do they actually serve a purpose?

Such a good question - 

if you want to fit a larger tyre than 750-16 or 235 85 R16 then to retain your lock to lock turning circle - you need to move the center-line of the wheel rim outboard (the off-set) to allow a full range of movement.  (You can achieve the same with non standard wheel rims that have a bigger off-set - this links with the Forward Control thread that is running along side this) 

There are others who claim that the wider 'stance'  that comes from the increased track-width, makes the vehicle more 'planted' and adds to stability / improves handling - Rather than say Bollox - I've never noticed this - Id leave this to the 'Drifters' and power-sliders to explain how 30mm of additional off-set becomes significant.

Lastly - there are all those (probably the majority) who just love that way spacers make their pride and joy look - and who are we to judge -