D2 TD5 manual engine revs not dropping at gear changes

dstevenson

Hi all, first post on here.

I'm hoping a few guys can help shed a bit of light on my issue.  I've recently purchased a 2001 D2 TD5, and it has just developed the issue of not dropping revs on engine changes, and the higher the revs at gear changes, the worse it is.

I have done a bit of reading and all fingers point towards the clutch pressure switch, and many suggest unplugging this as it would fix the issue, but then I have also read that the pressure switch is an open switch, and if is has failed it remains open (i.e. no sensing of the clutch being depressed), so I can't understand why disconnecting it would work?

Anyway, in my case it hasn't - no change.  However in disconnecting it I see a whole lot of oily gunk in the plug and wondering how this has got there.  I could understand clutch fluid but not oily gunk.  Any ideas.

I have ordered a new switch to see if that makes a difference, but in the meantime need to try and figure out how oil has got into this plug.

Also my cruise control has stopped working, which does suggest this clutch switch has gone ka-put.

Also - another not so related matter.  A very unfamiliar noise comes from the vehicle when cold and the clutch is slightly released.  I've been told it is a very common LR, TD5 manual noise, but not sure what it is and if it needs attention.  if nothing else I would like to get to the bottom of it to see if it can be fixed as it is an annoying noise . 

Cheers

DS

• 2 weeks later...

I experienced revs not dropping when changing up on my 2002 TD5 and eventually tracked it down to the pressure switch on the clutch hydraulic system having been left off as a result of shoddy workmanship by a mechanic when I had a new clutch master cylinder replaced.

Has your cruise control also failed, as indeed, mine had?

Depressing the clutch pedal with cruise control in operation disengages the cruise control (as does depressing the brake pedal).

Missing clutch pressure switch / faulty clutch pressure switch = no cut off of fuel supply, therefore no drop in revs & no cruise control.

Sorry, dstevenson, for my oversight.

Reading your topic again I see that indeed your cruise control has failed.

Therefore, almost certainly, the answer to your problem is a new pressure switch on the clutch hydraulic line - but check electrical connection, too, in case of a break there.