300tTdi Power Steering Pump

Boydie

Just a question to the forum,

Is there a service kit for these pumps or are they like the Wabco Vacuum pump a throw-away replacement item?    Mine is making some strange noises when I'm at close to and at full lock in both directions, its not air as I've thoroughly bled it so I can only assume that after 19 years and over 500,000 kilometers its due for some attention or replacement.  

4 hours ago, Sabre said:

At 500k+, I will treat my car to a new pump ;)

Some have cruelly suggested that I treat it to a new younger owner :blush: - that or a packet of fire starters.

I ignore these crass and unwarranted comments but from what I can find out on the internet the steering pump is a non-serviceable; throw-away; cost-a-heap item.:angry: so I'm up for about AUD$280 for a genuine ZF part.  Maybe next month !    

I've just got over the wallet induced trauma of replacing the Fuel Injection Pump, the original developed a slight leak in the chamber below the turbo actuated diaphragm, The not-so-nice people from Bosch kindly offered to fully service my pump for AUD$2,450 plus 10% GST  :blink:  fortunately I have a full 300Tdi timing kit so I didn't have to remove the front timing cover to replace it with the very low mileage one that I eventually obtained from a resurrected Land Rover wrecker down in Victoria, even so a man needs 8" long fingers with biceps at each joint to be able to access some of the bloody nuts that hold it to the case and engine bracket. The manual was clearly written with the engine out of the car and on a rotating stand - not still on the motor and in a dark shed.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem  to be a service kit available, but the two links  below show what an after market item would cost in the UK. Do u know any one n the UK who could receive the item and forwarded it on to you? I could give you an idea of the carriage cost if I knew the weight of it.

http://www.paddockspares.com/anr2157-pas-pump-300tdi.html

https://www.lrdirect.com/ANR2157-Pas-Pump-300Tdi-Rrds90-110/

• Like 1