Interesting lifting roof on a Series

Yes he did. We had a good chat and a look over it. He had two attempts at the front hinges, finding that it needed to lift away from the top of the windscreen there.

The hardest bit was working out the template for the material.  I seem to remember @Jocklandjohn saying something similar in his thread. 

The whole family slept inside 2+2. Total cost €250!

I have seen that method of tipping before. First time was on a foreign D130 station wagon I saw in the car park at Newbury. Apparently it is a commercially available kit on the continent.

If this chap made his own, then fair play - it looks very good.

That's an idea about as old as the first hard-tops, and this particular example is nicely done. (*Rant: it drives me crazy that during the usual "what's the new Defender going to be like" arguments, so many people fail to understand that what makes older Land-Rovers so good to own is being able to do things like this. Apologies for the slight thread redirection.) 

Here's another version I found somewhere on the internet some time ago: 

!BgefM2wBGk~$(KGrHqEOKisEryPK(ZvEBLFbwddZW!~~_3.jpg

Thanks Davo. That's got an up-stand that holds the top of the rest of the body pieces together, with the roof then planted back on top of that. It is a key element of the conversion I think.

I was interested in the Alu-cab roof for a Defender, having seen a few at the Stratford overland show last year. In fact I was in Cape Town with my wife earlier this year and knocked on the door of the factory that makes them and asked if we could look around. They were very happy to give us an impromptu tour. It was very interesting to see them working through a batch of the up-stands. They also make a whole lot of whisper - Land Cruiser trayback camper conversions and these are very complex, complete units. All in all it was a busy place.

The final decision on the roof is that it is just too spendy and anyway you still have to kit out the rest as a camper to get complete independence and that's further spendy

• Like 1

The first Landy I ever went in (and that started my passion) many years ago was our next door neighbours Series with a similar top when we lived in Stubbington. I think we went with them to pick it up, blue if I recall but it was a good 25 years ago...

I'm sure I remember them calling it a dormobile - which seems to tie up as there is a dormobile that make lifting roofs for landys. I wonder if they're still around!

That is a great job for a complete DIY fabrication.  If he can get the fabric to be self tensioning, so the wind doesn't ake it flap noisily, it'll be better still.

I have a vague plan to do something similar, but using a flat plate of the same plan as the gutter channel extending about 3" inside the roof line and then having upwards lips of a couple of inches, essentially a perimeter of angle section around the top of the body to attach the fabric, and then extend the inside of the gutter upwards to make attachment points for the upper edge of the fabric, the aim being to achieve a similar result but with a near invisible alteration to the exterior when closed - just the outer edge of the angle, which should be only 2-3mm.  I like these pop roofs in principle, I just don't like the way they change the lines closed.  Option two is a full-length vertically extending roof using the same method, but folding that much fabric over the windscreen would be a challenge without a huge "shelf" at roof line on the front (not impossible).

On 6/19/2017 at 3:47 PM, Peaklander said:

Yes he did. We had a good chat and a look over it. He had two attempts at the front hinges, finding that it needed to lift away from the top of the windscreen there.

The hardest bit was working out the template for the material.  I seem to remember @Jocklandjohn saying something similar in his thread. 

The whole family slept inside 2+2. Total cost €250!

Oh yes. Oh yes. The fabric pattern is a bugger!  I had an 'expert' do my sewing - having given him dimensions and him measuring and inspecting the vehicle AND I explained several times to him that the swing up design means that the bottom of the fabric is NOT a straight line as you'd assume - he still got it wrong! Made a beautiful job of it mind you, just wrong!  Here's the diagram:

fabric_032.thumb.jpg.2f24b195fff5b11686f253a648df0dc3.jpg

x1000f36712.jpg.1fdb4fac888480f0a09d80b5d797dba2.jpg

x1000f36697.jpg.eab6e5043e3bfd0d1914e61cb4532905.jpg

• 5 months later...

We have just complete stage 2 of the "create standing hight in a 110" project : fitted the Roll Cage. So what we do is a bit different from what this topic is about..

In Holland, several options are on the market and this has to be one of the lowest profile ones

Most conversions raise the roof by some 80 mm

LR 110 Klap Dak # 3 - Dak staat goed hoog.jpg

This one bij about 10 mm

For the Series conversions a very workable solution - basically 4 pieces of a 6-10 mm.thick steel strip, welded on the corners and bent over the rear door to keep everything in place when the roof was up.

LR 110 Klap Dak # 13 - Het scharnier - klein.jpg

Very simple, very workable and not too expensive. The fabric is usually HD tent fabric.

For those interested, I have more pics of this conversion and others...

As I said, we are doing it a bit different as we had to have a full external roll cage and that is a bit complicated to mix with a full pop up roof...:blush:

Edited by Arjan

De club in Harderwijk leverde dit als kit.

There was a supplier in Harderwijk, NL, that sold this kit. Due to tax reasons, camper conversions in Holland are very difficult..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Goede Avond,

Back from a trip playing with trains - the real biggish ones - and too tired to go to bed, I'll try to post some pics of said roof conversion.

LR 110 Klap Dak # 1 - Vrijwel niets te zien - klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 11 - Hier moet iets van te maken - klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 7 - Stahoogte in de auto - klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 9 - Optie voor bed - klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 14 - Imperiaal kan gewoon gemonteerd worden- klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 12 - Zeildoek is zware kwaliteit - klein.jpg

LR 110 Klap Dak # 13 - Het scharnier - klein.jpg

In Holland, this conversion is now it seems killed by the taxman so it seems they stopped selling them.

We're now in stage IIA of the conversion of the 110. Stage III will be an engine swop once I have time...

Hope these help some

Edited by Arjan