Insurance - gearing change

Just now, western said:

They won't unless the vehicle is inspected after a crash, then I doubt anyone would know the different gear teeth count or ratio.

If they knew what they were looking at, the serial number would indicate something odd to them?

Just looking at options. My premium's gone up 75% this year just from 3k to 6k miles. There's so much ambiguity about what is a "modification". Like a factory fitted option you put on later...

Labelling it as a "transmission change" doesn't seem to change the premium at all.

i did this to my defender years ago, declared with nfu and cost me very little. year or so later i chipped it and again very little.

They do seem like a good company and certainly i wont be moving in next years renewal.

Always declare everything, what price piece of mind against the potential for a claim not to be upheld?

I had been with my insurer for well over a decade with an agreed value policy but this year the premium went up 50% (no change in circumstances on my part) so I decided enough was enough. Checked with a couple of the likely suspects and while it took me a while to put together the history, list of modifications and vehicle history the agreed value was confirmed 3-days later and my annual premium has dropped 30% compared to last year (this years premium £170).

1986 90 with an agreed value of £14K and enough modifications to fill more than an A4 sheet, now insured with Adrian Flux.

Edited by Litch

I got it down in the end by dropping value from £7k to 6k and Comp to TPFT, bumping mileage from 3K to 10K and dropping excess from £500 to £0! Defies logic. :huh:

Only £30 more than last year and with the same insurer by using mustard.co.uk. Not seen that site before and it's the first automated numberplate inputter i've seen in 7 years that correctly identified it as 110 DEFENDER SW TDI rather than 110 TDI HARDTOP.