Hub oil seal, which way?

Ok I've bitten the bullet and asking for advice, after watching a tutorial on the fitting of the wheel bearings, I noticed something about the way the hub oil seals should be fitted. FRC8222 and FTC4785. I'm not sure 100% mine are on the same way. How crucial is this?? Will I need to take everything back off again to make sure? 

???

They should be mounted with the inside (hollow side) towards the bearing. It normally says on the seal. Should you change it yes will it be OK till the next time it's off probably the worst that will happen is contamination and premature failure.

Mike

• Like 1

Not off-roading this truck at all unless I'm forced to, to find a good camp site when we're away in the glens. 

I'd rather do it properly though, ??

The spring wrapped around the inside of the seal should the be on the oily side of whatever is being sealed - in this case the wheel bearing . I did notice in your pic's in the other thread the seal track on the stub axle looked pretty ropy , a good coating of grease will help make the seal last longer  , also have you checked the state of the oil/grease in the CV housing ? - it was a front iirc?  

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

Hi Steve, yep the oil in the swivel was again almost non existent.... now has a full compliment of one shot in it. The hub seal also was coated in lovely new grease. ?

God I must have been tired alright, not only did I put the inner seal on wrong, but the outer too ?? thankfully I managed to go back in today. All is well ?

B0B02634-36D3-4B4F-A305-C473CBD450CF.jpg

581A6B7D-C78F-4090-8F09-59819AF12544.jpg