Tire & rim sizes

This will be an easy question for some people but I can't find a definitive answer.. I have 2 sets of tires, BFG Mud and General Grabber TR, both are 235/85 R16. The mud's are on discovery 1 steel rims, bought the car with it. Now for the General Grabber's im looking for new rims. I was thinking about the 16x8 black modular, is this a good fit? Or better 16x7?

19 minutes ago, western said:

Minimum rim width for 235 is 6.5 inches according to BFG website, I had 235/85 on my 6..5 inch wide wolf steel rims with no problem, but a 7 inch rim would be better

Thanks! 8" will be too wide I think? Stretching the tire. 

They will fit 8 inch rims too - just not ideal & the tyre fitter will need to know what he's doing as the tyre inner beads may be narrower than the rim sides (depends on specific tyre design) , so the tyre beads will need to spread to get them onto the rim. 

I was fitting Insa Turbo Special Tracks & they needed spreading about 1/2 inch. They're fine once fitted, but on 7 inch rims they definitely fit better & flex slightly more because the sidewall shape is slightly better optimised. 

I had to find out for our Disco 2 as finding 7 inch modular steel wheels seems impossible. I think you've got a lot more choice of rim widths for a Defender! 

Edited by Pawl12

Thanks Paul, 16x7 it is ..

I'm not a tire expert as you've all read and when I look for black modular 16x7 I get wheels with an offset 8 and 11 .. I've read wat offset means but they advise to buy wheels with the same offset as the default ones. I have no idea what offset my current wheels have .. Is this something to worry about?