classic RR front axle rebuild removing ABS

MikeD

I have a low mileage ABS front axle that I want to replace the swivel joints on and fit to a non ABS vehicle

It seems simplest to me to buy the non abs swivel ball kit and use that but I was wondering if anyone had tried this and found any issues with doing it. I am also wondering if there might be an issue using the ABS CV joint inside the non ABS swivel ball and pins

The alternative would be to use the ABS parts and either cut the ABS cable or tie wrap it out of the way

Either way I plan on fitting the correct non abs disks and callipers

If anyone has any experience in this area I would be grateful for your comments before I buy parts that I shouldn't have

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the pre-ABS or imperial axles were 6-bolt to the swivel, and the ABS/metric axles were 7 bolt to the swivel, which means you can't fit them together, at least not easily :)

If it were me, I wouldn't want a mixture of parts on my front axle, and would fit the axle complete, if you are rebuilding, rebuild with the standard parts to that axle. As for the ABS sensor, it is very probably you can fit a non-ABS top pin to the swivel joint which doesn't have the hole for a sensor, that way it is all completely sealed and you have no reason to leave the sensor in there.

Part for the non-ABS top pin is: http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/swivel-upper-571756-p-288.html

I've got both types here, and yes, the '92 ABS has seven bolts holding the swivel to the axle. I agree with the man above: I would just rebuild the axle with the correct parts but without the ABS bits that you can leave out. 

I dismantled one end yesterday and compared the abs top pin to a non abs defender one and they were quite different where they fit into the top bearing but part number 571756 looks much closer to the ABS one

thank you both

been looking at pictures and I think that 571756 looks a bit skinny to replace the abs top pin but FRC3511 looks a better bet

by any chance has anyone got either of those that they could put a Vernier on?

this is what I measured from the existing one although I did all the measurements, washed my hands and then typed them all and probably got them a bit mixed up :rolleyes:

so please don't take these as gospel

11 hours ago, Davo said:

So you'd use the correct top swivel pin FTC1371? 

yes, I have now ordered complete ABS rebuild kits

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I'm struggling to see how the pin would be too long to be honest, the rest of the swivel is identical.

But if a man says so, so be it :)

I thought the pictures I found looked like the pin was longer and he told me FRC3511 is 65mm tall whereas the ABS one is 44.75mm including the top flange

I didn't ask for measurements on 571756 as I am sure that it isn't the correct diameters just from comparing pictures as the shelf hallway down the pin looks a fair bit wider to me than the ABS pin I have

Thanks again for your comments