Autonomous Land Rovers by end of 2017

CwazyWabbit

It's something I used to be really against but for the last few years I've found driving in the UK has just become so frustrating and depressing you might as well be driven. Agreed it'll be a while before it gets anywhere but it is interesting to see how many bit companies are pushing it.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

For a given definition of "autonomous"... we're still decades from anything I'd trust with my life whilst reading a book on the back seat. Lots of hype / money floating around it as the next big thing at the moment though.

So it will be out for 15-20 years then you'll give it a go ? ;-) 

Wonder how insurance will work 

who will be the responsible person if no driver is required, I'd say the vehicle registered owner or whoever is in the 'command' seat & able to stop or override the vehicle. sounds like a nightmare to sort out.

That's one of the issues that has to be thrashed out before truly autonomous vehicles can become an everyday reality - it's not just the technology.

My money is on heavy goods vehicles being the first place it gains traction as more than a rich man's toy. Big financial benefits to getting rid of the driver (except from the drivers point of view...).

Personally, I like the idea of sitting back and letting the car do the long boring motorway slog/daily commute and the like. Just as long as I can still take the wheel when I want to. Logically, though, the computers will eventually be better at it than us and no one will want the liability of distractable fleshy drivers.

2 minutes ago, geoffbeaumont said:

......Personally, I like the idea of sitting back and letting the car do the long boring motorway slog/daily commute and the like. Just as long as I can still take the wheel when I want to. ......

Then we will all be 'Sunday drivers' ;)

3 hours ago, western said:

Wonder how insurance will work 

who will be the responsible person if no driver is required, I'd say the vehicle registered owner or whoever is in the 'command' seat & able to stop or override the vehicle. sounds like a nightmare to sort out.

Insurance is just a bucket everybody pays into and pays out in case of an accident. I have house insurance in case something happens to my house. The insurance companies will crunch the numbers and charge accordingly.

With the tesla the driver is still in charge of the vehicle even when it's driving itself, the same as using cruise control I guess. The guy who died in the tesla hit the side of a lorry as the camera didn't detect it against the sky due to its colour or reflectivness or whatever. Their argument was to compare the number of deaths per driven mile against the number of deaths per autonomous driven mile. By that argument their technology has saved lives.

Their are 2 hgv systems being tested that I've read about. One is Volvo and as a car driver you somehow book a lift with a lorry online, meet up with them on the motorway and join the convoy. The cars then follow the lorry close together until it's your turn to leave the convoy. Just have to hope the lorry driver stays awake!

The second was I think Scania where numerous lorries link together so that you only need 1 driver at the front to control the whole convoy to cut down on drivers and it means they can travel closer together.

Both of which would make leaving the motorway from the middle lane fun!

I say skip it and go straight for the teleporter. Just have to hope your broadband doesn't cut out mid teleport!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cynic-al said:

..... I say skip it and go straight for the teleporter. Just have to hope your broadband doesn't cut out mid teleport!

Ah, but that brings up a different ethical problem.

To teleport someone you 'simply' identify all the particles in their body as well as direction and speed of movement, then you simply select a set of the same particles at the remote location and reassemble them ....... at this point you destroy the person in the original location.

10 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

To teleport someone you 'simply' identify all the particles in their body as well as direction and speed of movement, then you simply select a set of the same particles at the remote location and reassemble them ....... at this point you destroy the person in the original location.

And just like teleporting an old series one from 1950 to 2017 you choose not to re assemble the bits you don't like.

don't re assemble the rusted parts .... don't re assemble the diseased or worn out organs......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Their are 2 hgv systems being tested that I've read about.

There's also Otto in the states - they're working on fully driverless HGVs (same sort of idea as Tesla). Although they are currently dealing with a court case that alleges they nicked their technology from Google's autonomous car programme, so quite what the future holds for them is anyone's guess...

12 hours ago, CwazyWabbit said:

Destroying is such a strong word, can't we just say spreading them around a little?

2 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

There's also Otto in the states - they're working on fully driverless HGVs (same sort of idea as Tesla). Although they are currently dealing with a court case that alleges they nicked their technology from Google's autonomous car programme, so quite what the future holds for them is anyone's guess...

Not seen that one, I will have a look!

• Like 1

I think it's funny watching everybody squirm and wriggle trying to find a way to keep doing what we're doing, but without pollution/accidents/traffic congestion, and without having to change how we live. We're too dependent on cars and we drive too much, and sheer economics will dictate how and when we wind up like our grandparents, living near work and shops and schools and not criss-crossing the country at will. Which is why I have a V8 now. :ph34r: