power loss

rnlisg

Hi all,1st post,need some help.my freelander2 2010 manual has full service history,last full service was 1200 miles ago,I have an intermittent power loss,I can drive normally when it's as if it loses 50% of its power,I get to 1500/1800revs and the "change up"arrow shows but it does not want to power up or go much over 2000rpm,l can change up to top gear with this happening ,and it cruises fine at around 60/65mph,there is no noise ie whistling etc.up to around 2000rpm it goes fine.it can be fine for a few days then it does it,I can park up for a while get back in and all is fine.it feels like something is partially blocking the air/fuel flow but not all the time.has anyone out there got any idea,s please.?.

cheers

sandy

Does your model have a limp mode on it? I've seen it happen on other cars (a mate had it happen on his bike too) where the limp mode kicks in and sometimes doesn't show a warning light. 

If it's something in the fuel system I would try some fuel treatment and run it on something like V-Power for a while. I used to work at a petrol station and it's true any of the premium fuels do help but they don't start really cleaning out your system til the 2nd or 3rd tankful and you also need a good quality fuel treatment to kickstart the process too. 

I'm assuming you don't run it on supermarket fuel. That stuff is a nightmare for modern engines. It'll clog filters etc faster than putting glue in the tank lol. I'm also assuming you keep your fuel at a reasonable level so to avoid any carp getting into the engine. 

I'm no mechanic but no warning lights etc would suggest to me filters or a bit of gunk in the tank (which may break down with fuel treatment and some patience but the guys here will enlighten you more). 

If you're lucky and it's nothing more than a £5 fuel treatment and run on premium fuel for a while you'll notice better mpg once your engine is clean. Independent tests showed that premium fuel costs 8% more but you get 10% more mpg in the long term so it does pay for itself and you don't mess up fuel filters or get bad emissions results at MoT time. 

Incidently I don't work for petrol companies anymore but from what I learned you indeed get what you pay for. 

hi hmd,there are no warning lights or alarms etc dont appear to have limp mode as I had this a couple of times on my d3,and that was very noticeable,slowed me right down.i have just returned from north devon to kent approx. 275 miles great run cruising/accelerating as normal,then 30 miles from home slowed up in some traffic,went to accelerate and I am down on power again,green arrow telling me to change up at 1500 rpm.stopped off at a store 10 m from home for around 20 mins got back in and all was fine again.

been out again today 50m all fine.i did blank the egr around 3 months ago,but cant see how that would affect it i was considering taking it off but I would have thought it would have affected the car before now.i did put some stp additive in before I left devon to help clear the system.

cheers sandy