Wiring help please ..

I wondered if some kind soul could point out where I'm going wrong with something ...

I've been attempting to modify the circuit on my Td5, so that the rear washer switch becomes a rear wash/wipe switch using a m 4-pin relay. 

The washer switch is a momentary live-switching switch, so I've used the live output from this  to power a relay, which switches the earth from the rear wiper relay. 

The plan was that this would replicate the function of the rear wiper switch, which is a latching earth-switching switch. 

But it's not .... the wash wipe works off the button - but the washer jet doesn't. 

The relay is switching, and if I pull it out and bridge the wire pairs into it then I can get the washer to work off the button - as I'd expect - and the rear wiper works just from bridging its pair (as it doesn't pass through the switch) - so that works too.

I'll post again with wiring diagram pictures...

Put the relay coil in parallel with the pump, instead of in series with it. So connect 85 to ground, and 86 to the pump and the momentary switch.

As it is now, the relay coil resistance is preventing the pump from running, but the pump resistance is low enough to still allow the relay to operate.

• Like 1

Thank you - that makes sense! and is hugely helpful.

i did think about splitting it from the switch ... but didn't expect the resistance in the coil to be significant.

Thank you again - your help is greatly appreciated ?

A bit late to the party, but here's the Defender 2002MY rear wash and wipe wiring diagram modified to show the relay to convert the rear washer switch to a wash/wipe switch -

2002 Rear Wash-Wipe - MODIFIED.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi there new on here and I’m struggling with the wiring for the wash wipe!

im putting a puma dash in a td5 and using Carling switches. 

I’ve sorted everything but the wash wipe.

ive managed to make it work on and off on mom switch but can’t get the legend (as in it’s switched on) light to come on when pressed.

does anyone have any ideas?

many thanks in advance

Richard 

Nugget stuff (sold by First Four in the UK) makes a bezel so you can use original td5 switches in a Puma dash (see picture below)

I am putting an alu dash in my td5 and am looking for an alternative for the hazard switch. Has carling something?

NSD2BEZEL.jpg