glo plug warning light problem

I have a 1985 land rover 110 to which I fitted a 300tdi engine in place of the n/a engine. Needless to say, greatly improved performance. The glo plugs were heated in the same way as original, by turning the ign on, and then turning a little further against the spring loading, when the glo plug warning light would come on. I would hold for several seconds and then complete the starting process by fully turning the ign key to operate the starter.

I have just finished fitting a s/h td5 dash instrument pack, using the original clocks, but changing all the wiring to the warning light panel as in this web page: http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2009/10/installing-defender-td5-gauges-into-a-200tdi300tdi/

All the lights seem to work ok, except the glo plug light. When I switch on the ign the oil and battery lights come on as normal, but so does the glo plug light, which then goes out when I move the key to the plug heating position – a reverse of what it should do. However, the glo plugs work as they should, with power going to them when I turn the switch to glo plug position.

I have never had a timer or relay fitted, and the thick brown and red cable runs direct from the ign switch to the glo plugs, and the thin brown and red cable connects into the warning light panel, as it did before the change.

Does anyone have any idea where I’ve gone wrong.

Suicidal is a word that springs to mind!!