12V Air Compressor Gremlin

Got a T-Max compressor - been fine for several years now, not had a huge amount of use to be honest (I'm not running massive tyres and deflating/inflating, simply maintaining main tyres & spare pressures) and has worked without any problems.

However today I tried to pump the spare and compressor would not start. Checked the fuse and it's not just blown, it's melted the plastic of the fuse, and slightly melted the fuse-holder. Fuse is 30A and is the one supplied with it. I swapped it out and tried again, same thing after 1 minute of running. Checked all the wiring, battery etc and tried again, blew it immediately the compressor was switched on.

Any suggestions where I start looking for the problem?  I'm assuming I may have to delve into the compressor internals? The fuseholder's internal wires appear all ok, no stray wires touching etc. 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd check the wires in the fuse holder etc. - there's a fair bit of current flowing, only needs a poor connection to get really hot really quickly, as you're seeing.

I'd a look earlier and it seemed ok, but I think I might re-solder the connections and see if it helps. Damage looked very localised so you might be right. Thanks!

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd check the wires in the fuse holder etc. - there's a fair bit of current flowing, only needs a poor connection to get really hot really quickly, as you're seeing.

Reporting back to aid anyone else similarly afflicted....cut out a few inches of wire around the in-line fuse holder, inserted a new fuse holder. Switched on and it's humming beautifully and shoving air up the pipe like a good un! Thanks Fridge!