'93 Diesel RRC

It isn't my vehicle, so please excuse my making this question my 'First Search'.

I have been tasked to find Workshop Manual information for a '1993 Diesel RRC'. It was late, and I was tired, so I neglected to ask 'which diesel?'.

It only occurred to me this morning that it might have been the 2.5VM, or possibly the 200TDi, or even the 300TDi. The earliest manuals I have easy access to are on the RAVE v11 of 1995, where the diesel  for the Classic is the 300TDi. Can anyone please say whether the '93 had the same engine as the '95?

I won't be in contact with the owner for another month, or possibly two, so I can't do the obvious, and ask him :-)

Thanks.

Sounds like a "Softdash" if it is a '93 one. Lots of Disco I bits - good heater - and many miles of wiring.

Engine usu a 300 Tdi.

The only way to be sure is to have the VIN. If its an "LA" before the last six numbers it will be a 200TDI hard dash,"MA" will be a 300TDI soft dash. My brother has a pair of "MA" 3.9's,one is L reg,one is M...

I once had 3 P38 RR's in my yard for repairs, all 98my - "WA" chassis, but 3 different reg letters.

If its hard dash, LR did all the manuals in paper,although someone may have scanned them, Soft dash were included on early Rave disc's.Its mainly dash electrics,SRS etc that are different between the two. I don't care what anyone says - the hard dash ones are a better car to live with and drive ! Have owned all the types and driven hundreds if not thousands of them.

Soft dash was 94 and 95, with 300Tdi with R380 or ZF.  93 would be a hard dash with 200Tdi and LT77S or ZF.

Personally, Chicken, I disagree with your comment above - I much prefer everything about the soft dash over the hard dash, which is why I spent two years trying to find one of the right spec for me.  It's all about personal preference.

• Like 1

I agree it is. But I might be odd, I like the open feeling in a cabin. Earlier Range Rovers, with the exposed hinges have lovely interiors for this reason. 

And I rather liked much of the styling in the early Disco interior too for the same reasons. 

Isnt the softdash essentially the same as the same period Disco? I remember we had two Discos at the time. One with each interior. The latter might have looked more 'modern' and certainly a larger dash. But the actual switch gear like the heater temp and fan controls felt cheap and flimsy by comparison. 

It has a similar dash to the 300Tdi and TD5 Discoverys, but not quite identical.  It shares all the same switch gear and heater controls, which made sourcing aircon parts for mine all the easier and cheaper.  They're robust enough, the only cheap feeling one being the fan speed slider, which is not that dissimilar to the levers on earlier RRCs.  I know what you mean about the early vehicles seeming more open - the later dash is slightly bigger and higher, but not much - it's actually the black edging of the windscreen that has the biggest influence over the cabin feeling slightly smaller.  The steering wheel is smaller on the soft dash, so space is actually improved.

If the heating/ventilation system on the soft dash is the same as the 300Tdi Discovery (I think it is, but I've not actually been in a soft dash Range Rover), then that's vastly better than the system in the hard dash. But the ergonomics of the soft dash are not as good, despite the more modern appearance (I went from a '93 hard dash Range Rover to a 300Tdi Discovery - same dash as the soft dash but with cheaper, harder finish - everything fell nicely to hand in the Range Rover, it was all not quite in the right place in the Discovery - stalks too low, that sort of thing).

14 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

If the heating/ventilation system on the soft dash is the same as the 300Tdi Discovery (I think it is, but I've not actually been in a soft dash Range Rover), then that's vastly better than the system in the hard dash. But the ergonomics of the soft dash are not as good, despite the more modern appearance (I went from a '93 hard dash Range Rover to a 300Tdi Discovery - same dash as the soft dash but with cheaper, harder finish - everything fell nicely to hand in the Range Rover, it was all not quite in the right place in the Discovery - stalks too low, that sort of thing).

It is identical - I used the heater box and control panel from a Discovery ES to add aircon to my soft dash.  To be honest, I'd be surprised f its not essentially the same box and matrix on the DII, just with servo motors instead of rods and cranks for the controls, as the DII dash is fundamentally the same save for the digital temperature control.