Worn hydraulic shaft pin journals

Admittedly, this is almost off topic, although I can claim that I'm working on my Kubota outdoors because my Landy is in the shop:).  Seriously, I want to draw on the wealth of engineering expertise on the forum to ask if there is any "cheap" remedy for worn pin journals on hydraulic cylinders.  The pin journals have worn in the PUSH/PULL direction, allowing too much play.  I know that I could buy new cylinders (SPENDY! SPENDY!), but is there any other remedy.  My Kubota is not used in a commercial application, only adding about 20hours use per year, mainly snow clearance, so longevity under hard use is not a criteria.  Many thanks, in advance, for any and all suggestions and experience,

Mike

• 4 months later...

Sorry to have left this one so long.  I also made enquiries at a local engineering shop and they offered to machine and re-sleeve the ends to accept new 1" diameter pins for about CAD$100 each, so much cheaper than getting a new cylinder, or even cheaper than getting new bushes from Kubota.  Of course, to do the job properly I would also need to do the same operation to the parts that the cylinders mount to.  That is not so easy, since most of the mounting locations are on major components, if not welded to the frame itself, and holding a hand drill to drill a 1"+ hole through steel is not something to be contemplated lightly.  Even buying new cylinders would leave me with this problem. 

So, the challenge is still under consideration, and I'm reviewing alternatives, but the only realistic alternative I can see is to do nothing and accept the current slop in piston actions.  If I can come up with anything I'll update this post.

Purchasing an expanding reamer might get you out of trouble. Get a carbide burr in there first and bring it roughly back if it's really bad, or use it to pull things parallel if needed, then get a reamer in, clean up and get some pins made if you've not got a lathe yourself. Or you could bring it up to sleeve spec and use normal pins.

Fair point about the 1" drill bit, fighting that in a hand drill would be a nightmare. Depending what space you've got to work with, hiring a magnetic base drill might work as a potential option. 

Interested to hear how you get on with this one