lead engine earth

Hello, 

I bought a project defender and I'm almost finished ( Land Rover Ninety 2.5 nad ) 
But i don't know where i should fixate the "lead engine earth". It's a rather small cable.
I know that one side is located on the chassis (engine mount) but where do i bolt the other side on (long bolt)? 

Thanks

Welcome Bert, 

There should be 2 main earth cables ---

1. from battery negative [-ve] terminal to one of the main gearbox to transfer box joint bolts

2 from left chassis mount to the rear bolt at bottom of the alternator bracket

see my photo's in https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/9605-electricalearth-point-problems-200tdi/

also there is nothing to stop you replacing the original thin earth cable with a much thicker cable. 

It also doesn't really matter where they attach to. I had problems with my old earth and fitted a new one (side of the road) that went from engine to chassis at the easiest bolts I could find which ended up being sump to mount this worked and when I replaced the original I did not remove it. I also have one going from gearbox to chassis as well. 

On a side note if the one you have is the exposed braided cable I would replace it with a larger insulated cable if you have to refit anyway. The reason mine failed in the first place was the braided cable had filled with mud and silt and corroded away, an insulated cable has a little more protection.