Td5/Puma tub on earlier car

I have seen it done with a long length of tubing running under the wheel arch to the front of the tub, but it was a bit of a bodge. Why not fit a rear tank too if you are swapping the tub? They don't rot and hold a bit more fuel too.

Ross, personally I wouldn't muck about with long tubes and rubber joints. Put an earlier filler onto the later tub, cut out neatly and leave a nice flange to rivet onto the skin of the new tub. It wouldn't look out of place.

Mo

its an easy conversion to do get some steel pipe of the correct diameter use the original filler neck hose on the tank just needs trimming to suit an get a filler neck hose that's fuel safe for the filler end an join the whole lot together just make sure the pipe is not level an has a slight fall towards the tank  I have had no issues you can just make out the black pipe above the rear spring

90 17.jpg

Edited by L90-v8

Ross, do you not think that with the articulation and tyres that you are planning, that running a pipe across the rear wheel arch may make your fuel filling tract vulnerable to damage off road ?

I would certainly see that as a vulnerability if I were building the type of vehicle you are.

Mo

Some later tubs have stepped arches that could further hinder clearance? Personally I'd repair what you have, many newer tubs that don't need any repair work are going to be coming from questionable sources IMHO.

Will.

31 minutes ago, muddy said:

Some later tubs have stepped arches that could further hinder clearance? Personally I'd repair what you have, many newer tubs that don't need any repair work are going to be coming from questionable sources IMHO.

Will.

or horrendously expensive!

22 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Ross, do you not think that with the articulation and tyres that you are planning, that running a pipe across the rear wheel arch may make your fuel filling tract vulnerable to damage off road ?

I would certainly see that as a vulnerability if I were building the type of vehicle you are.

Mo

The damage prospects are something I was wondering about. But I have got the option of potentially putting the pipe through and going up the inside face of the chassis rail, I'm trying to picture if I've got space for it to get back over to the filler hole in the tank. 

21 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Have to say that that was my first reaction as well, weren't you going to be running 37s?

That is correct :wub: 

21 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Unless there was a particular problem in sourcing one wouldn't it be easier to just get an earlier tub with the filler in the right place?

That's the issue I'm having, most of the early tubs are just as shafted as mine is or at least very close. 

21 hours ago, muddy said:

Will.

Yeah, only the station wagon ones, so I'll just look for an ex pickup/hardtop one. I'd also make sure its coming from a known breaker rather than just an ebay or autojumble sale.

20 hours ago, dirtyninety said:

or horrendously expensive!

So are most things in life :P. It is what it is really... I want it right! 

18 hours ago, L90-v8 said:

mine don't rub with 285's with plus 5 pin on pin I cannot say if 37" will fit tho

Useful pictures, thanks L90-V8 :) 

Thought about getting a newer tub and fitting an new old style side panel to it? 

http://www.paddockspares.com/rtc6283-panel-rear-rh.html

Yes I know it is pricey, but you said you wanted it right ;) 

Or just fit a plate and weld it up, cut a new hole and fit the earlier filler. You weld ali, or have peeps that can weld ali, don't you?

• Like 1