Strange electrical issue

I had started dismantling the 110 the other night so that I could drive it to Neils to change the clutch (see my other thread). Since I only had one gear, I was relying in the overdrive to give me some sort of ability to drive without revving the nuts off of the car. On my trip to Neils, I noticed that the voltmeter was jumping/flickering around a lot with normal driving. Put the brakes on and it dropped, indicate and it flicks back and forth a lot. Whilst indicating, my new VDO temperature gauge rose higher and higher until it hit the top temp and passed it! If i put the heater on, the overdrive would turn itself off!

Any ideas? I am thinking earth issues? I have briefly checked the main two earths and they look fine - i will remove and clean them, but they are definitely connected!

There is an earth strap from gearbox to battery and one from behind the alternator to the chassis on my 200tdi. Are there others to check? I have some auxilliary items earthed via a bolt through the floor to the chassis as well, but that is all connected up.

Certainly sounds like something going on with your earths to me. I was thinking about bad earths on your previous thread about the temperature gauge. If all is well on the bulkhead earth that Western suggests, you might have disturbed something when you were changing the temp gauge, I have had this problem occure due to loose earths when fiddling about with gauges, infact my battery charge indicator still doesn't work but as all other gauges currently work I'm leaving it alone!

Earth cable to bulkhead fixed the issue temporarily. A closer look at the block to chassis cable behind the alternator revealed that this had frayed and more or less snapped, so that was replaced and all good again. 

• Like 4