superwinch ep9i

bushwhacker

Hello out there, I have the above winch with a bowmotor 2 fitted. It has just had a new set of brushes put in but as soon as i hit the in/out button it starts to heat the A treminal post causing the brush set to char at the A post reason for putting in the new brush set but still it is heating the A post. I have stripped it down and can't find the fault. I have changed brushes in a couple of different winches but this is the first time this has happened. I have also tried a bench test with another b2 housing and armature same brush set with the same results. Could the brush set be arcing/faulty in some way? Has anyone else come across this?

Sounds to me like the motor winding may have burnt out if you aren't getting any rotation, and have ruled out a seized gearbox?

Does it smell burnt inside the motor, or can you see any cracked/blackened varnish on the windings?

Have you tried running the motor without the solenoid pack?

Welded / Shorted solenoid at the F1, F2 contact could leave the field out of circuit and put all the power into the armature?

Thanks for the replies. Yea strong smell of burning fron the main housing and armature, it had burned a set of new brushes and looked like it would do the same with another brush set, windings on armature blackend aslo. I took the b2 off the winch and tried a battery - to -, A to F1, + to F2 and it started to arc the + to F2 post. I guess the motor is toast. What would cause the windings to burn out I'm thinking over use over long periods and water ingress and maybe a seized gear housing plus poor maintenance.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Superwinch ep9i.

Does anyone know exactly how much tension the small spring in the brake clutch end of the gear pack should have on it as I have it stripped and thought I better check this out ? 

The gear packs were not seized all gears running free (not full of muck) some wear noted.