oil dip stick

hi chaps at the mo my defender 90 1992 is of the rd with no mot or tax.i got lazy and let it sit for 10 weeks without starting it but it fired up no prob,my question is this i checked the oil and it was well up on the dip stick at least 6inches( oow er mrs) so i thought maybe it was me,so i gave the old girl an oil change and took her around the block as i did change the water pump to,iv been out to start her up this week and the dip stick is well up again about the same as before,could it be diesel getting in or maybe my oil pump? can anyone shed some light? cheers guys

I'm assuming the engine is a 200Tdi ? 

can you move the dipstick tube up & down ? 

if so you need to remove it from engine, then at the lower end make sure the ring around the tube is in the correct place & the flared end is made a bit wider, that should make the securing nut grip it better.

there was a tech bulletin issued years ago for this problem, if you search the tech archive or this forum it should appear for you to read. 

search for '200tdi dipstick tech bulletin' or similar.

4 hours ago, western said:

I'm assuming the engine is a 200Tdi ? 

can you move the dipstick tube up & down ? 

if so you need to remove it from engine, then at the lower end make sure the ring around the tube is in the correct place & the flared end is made a bit wider, that should make the securing nut grip it better.

there was a tech bulletin issued years ago for this problem, if you search the tech archive or this forum it should appear for you to read. 

search for '200tdi dipstick tech bulletin' or similar.

thanks western ill have a look tomorrow hopefuly it is just sliped to fare in