Accident Advice

reb78

Well, all went well and the disco is back home ready for me to take a proper look at. After a very brief look, there is a slight kink in the chassis leg on the nearside - this is where the tow eye may have taken some of the impact. I dont think it is anything serious though - at most will mean the replacement bumper will need a little fettling to refit straight and square. I think a hammer may sort it tbh!

PJ.thumb.jpg.6f6ec8f32916926f7df054c09c2eb1f4.jpg

• Like 3

On 7/29/2017 at 4:44 PM, paintman said:

Don't forget to update with a few pics of the progress :)

Will do. Well, a quick look today. Bumper has clearly had it. All of the clips on the headlights are broken so I think they will need replacing too. I should live with the bonnet, but i cant! It opens and closes and if i was better with bodywork, i think i could bash out the dents and repair it - however, the end result wont be good in my hands and bonnets are surprisingly cheap (especially compared to the lights and bumpers!)

Looking at bumpers, there are a few aftermarket choices and some of these are cheaper than secondhand scratched up original units.

https://www.firstfour.co.uk/shadow-heavy-duty-bumper-for-discovery-2with-fog-lights.html

https://dixonfabrication.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=87_92_131

http://www.tp4x4.com/products/disco-2/rock-bumper/

Anyone had any experience of these? I don't particularly want a winch bumper so the 'rock bumpers' are fine for my purposes.

i reccomended a dixon winch bumper to a mate. was a delay due it being a custom one that had to sit higher to accomendate for the body lift. it also had to have the recovery points mounted lower down to retain maximum streaght duing recoverys. when it arrived look beautiful and fittment was mm perfect so id deffo reccomend any of his work.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Davo said:

And they were talking about writing it off? I am smiling and shaking my head, and certainly not at you . . . well done, saving your car. 

Thanks! It would have been sinful to scrap it really. A new (well secondhand) bonnet and we won't really realise anything had happened to it! But the bonnet can wait until something comes up. 

Now the cheques cleared, I'll mention the insurance. Initially they were quoted £3000 for the repairs. I was shocked as they said they'd repair it at that cost. My valuation on it before the accident, being generous would be £3000, probably closer to £2600-£2800 for a quicker sale. Following this, as the repair co started to strip it further, they said they found another £500 of damage. The insurance then said it was uneconomical to repair. They apparently valued it at £4800! I was shocked. Our excess was £400 so we could have walked away with £4400 for a new car. Knowing the history of this one and that it's been well maintained by ourselves, we opted to buy back. With the salvage estimate on it, we ended up with nearly £3000 plus the car. This cost under £500 to fix in the end! The headlamps took a day of making new brakets and fixing them on to the casing with sikaflex and self tappers (must have got it right as the alignment was checked at the mot and didn't need altering!). So, the remaining £2500 can go towards paying the inevitable hike in insurance premiums that will no doubt follow!!

The funny thing is, I can't for the life of me see how they valued it at £4800 in the first place! As it's a very late 54 plate (potentially overlapped with the first D3) I wonder if their finger slipped down a line onto the first of the D3s!!