e-mail Order

Oakmaster

I often go to work thinking I must order some bits for the week-end, and the next thing I know - they day is gone and its 6;00pm

Id like to be able to place my order / enquiry by e-mail, and know that it will be taken care of.  However 19 out of 20 times the email is ignored, and I have to remember to chase-up by phone, usually too late to get it in time.

With 6 vehicles on the drive, I do spend quite a lot, and find it remarkable that so many Landrover suppliers just ignore these requests.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable supplier who can cope with web based commerce? 

thanks 

I will ask the question; why make things difficult by insisting on email?
Do you not have internet access at home? Or is it just a case of wanting to use the 'work' web access rather than yours?

Websites are open 24 hours a day, why not place your order online after your working day has finished?
Perhaps there are circumstances which are obvious to you, but are invisible to the rest of us.

Regards.

Im sorry - Id didn't make myself clear - I do send my order or query in the evenings / Sunday afternoon, but if there is a single question or variable (Is this in stock?  is this the right part number?, queries we often have with Land-Rovers, then it gets ignored

It doesn't make it difficult for them by using email, if you can't respond to emails then you shouldn't be in the game. I also don't often have the time in working hours to ring places if I have a query. The number of emails that just don't get any response is terrible, unless its the only option, no-reply = no business from me. 

• Like 1

I sort of do that, but hold back on asking too many as I dont want to waste their time!!  so I limit it to two - but the end result it that they waste my time - by ignoring me and not responding.

Its the same story with the main dealers,

I was once in a position to buy a new 110 (Im  a builder but I scrub-up)  I visited 3 main dealers where I was ignored, then treated in a very condescending manner, then told I couldn't  have what I wanted (A Blue 110 - FFS!)  

So I didn't buy a new one!

Compare this experience with the BMW Main Dealer (My Wife is a Doctor and likes BMW - been trying to convert her, she did have a Disco 2 as a winter car, because the BMW could not gain traction on the drive (lope 1; 100)  At BMW they are all over you in an instant (quite disturbing really!) 

As I understand it now we dont have 'proper' Land-Rovers, JLR are eliminating these mid 20th Century dealerships in favour of new shiny BMW style poodle parlours.

Edited by Oakmaster
bad spellink

I'm very happy with my supplier.

He replies to E-mails, knows Land Rovers inside & out and, above all, is actually quite good in comms.

No fancy website - my Email gets a reply. If different options are possible he will tell you. Shipping works.

• Like 1

Ah, so I'm not the only one annoyed by this bizarre situation of inviting customers to send an email, which is then ignored. I do the same as mentioned above: if emails are replied to and everything else is okay, then I will happily hand over my money. (I also start off small before gradually placing bigger orders.) If not, I have a blacklist. Which sounds pretty snotty, seeing that in writing, but I've been very much ripped off over the years. 

I always picture these hopeless businesses as being run by a Mr. Arkwright. "G-g-g-granville - see to that 'lectronic thingamawhatsit, will you?" 

• Like 3

This reminds me of a couple of things:

I spotted something on a LR parts supplier website and placed an order for it. No sign of order for some considerable time so I rang them to see what was going on. Which was when they told me that they had only had a few of the item in question and it had sold out ohh 3 months ago.

Another was a colleague, his 2 cars were written off when they drowned in a flood. He didn't really know what he fancied as replacements so went round various dealers to see what was whet, look at some cars, test drives that sort of stuff. Of all the dealers he visited, only 2 rang him back, Skoda and Subaru. Which is why he drives a Subaru and his wife drives a Skoda.

I like Dunsfold, and Brit car are pretty good as well. I had a radiator failure when the truck was in USA. They (brit car) sent me a rad within days and couldn't have been more helpful when the new rad failed within a matter of days (poor soldering round the filler plug hole) Sent me another rad immediately and advised me how to get the original rad back to them by the cheapest method available. Because of the time difference a lot of this was sorted out by email.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Snagger said:

There have been a few suppliers that I got no response from and thus wrote off, Land Rover Series being the worst.  They couldn't even spell "service".

Ironically I filled out their contact form last week and haven't heard anything yet

LRDirect have been good at replying, as well as SP-4x4.

I am on another LR forum where supporters offer services. upgrades, maintenance etc, I PM'd one asking for a service he offered but got no reply. Now as he is charging for this I do have deadlines but also want to be flexible. After a long period of no replies I saw him answer a thread for another member so I joined in asking for a reply to my request. His answer was I was out of order as he has a day time job so I should wait until he feels fit! Sorry but I am paying, he is not doing me a favour, it is a business all be it with benifits to both parties. The trouble is that all the guys who offer these repairs etc. are treated like Gods and tend to act accordingly. In the end I went elsewhere and got a better job as a proper customer for the same money.

18 minutes ago, missingsid said:

I am on another LR forum where supporters offer services. upgrades, maintenance etc, I PM'd one asking for a service he offered but got no reply. Now as he is charging for this I do have deadlines but also want to be flexible. After a long period of no replies I saw him answer a thread for another member so I joined in asking for a reply to my request. His answer was I was out of order as he has a day time job so I should wait until he feels fit! Sorry but I am paying, he is not doing me a favour, it is a business all be it with benifits to both parties. The trouble is that all the guys who offer these repairs etc. are treated like Gods and tend to act accordingly. In the end I went elsewhere and got a better job as a proper customer for the same money.

Sounds like IRB Developments - if you want real radio silence, they are masters at it!

Sadly they can be. Ian was very talkative and answered lots of my questions about a TDV6 and auto conversion, but then just went silent after a while so I went the OM606 route. He has however answered many questions on things since and been very helpful. He works for land rover as well as running IRB so that could be a player in his lack of replies.