High time for a new NATO Green paint thread

Happyoldgit

Due to the imminent acquisition of an FV2500 series military trailer in need of a coat of paint I will be looking for a new supplier of decent satin finish NATO green synthetic paint. I'll be after something with a bit of body that covers and hides blemishes well.

While I do have spray facilities and a big can of cellulose NATO green I'm not looking to isolate / prime then cellulose, instead I'll be looking to go down the quick rub down & roller / pad the finish.

My question is who is the current "go to" outfit for decent NATO green?

We've had some excellent results from ArcRite who sell on eBay, did our Wolf rims with their rattle cans and they came out lovely and haven't chipped or peeled despite being used off-road. Pretty sure they do tins as well as aerosol.

Hi Stephen

Talking of arcrite, you can get corroless RF16 in NATO green. Can be brushed, rollered or sprayed. Use corroless S primer first.

http://www.arc-rite.co.uk/corroless-rf16-glass-leaf-impregnated-gloss-top-coat-any-colour

It's very good, and is the paint used as the basis for buzzweld CIO. 

I've used it on my range rover classic...

Cheers, Steve 

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

• Like 1

Just go to your local bodyshop paint supplier and ask them for a couple of litres of single pack polyeurethane in satin and they'll mix it up for you - thats all the mod use (bar the addition of IRR material ).   Get a  litre of fast flash thinners as well, better than using white spirit. 

Also if you have a spray gun just quickly mask of the glass and lights like the army do and spray it on - its quicker and a better finish. You dont need to do much to prepare the surface, it can go over most things with no reaction and you can put it on thick with a coarse nozzle. 

It's about as 'thick' as you can get really, 2k, celly and acrylic are a lot thinner and more difficult to get a thick coat on. 

For ex mod stuff, to help cover the rough camo paint I normally use a 1.7 nozzle and thin to about 25%.  Heating the paint up in a tub of hot water before mixing helps the flow as well, and if you spray a mist coat on and let it get tacky first it will help stop runs if you lay a nice heavy coat on after. 

On 14/07/2017 at 1:18 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

We've had some excellent results from ArcRite who sell on eBay, did our Wolf rims with their rattle cans and they came out lovely and haven't chipped or peeled despite being used off-road. Pretty sure they do tins as well as aerosol.

Just wanted to add another  +1 for ArcRite as a supplier.

I messaged them recently looking for a suitable top coat for my chassis, they replied very quickly, and I am very happy with the product that they supplied.

I've had good results with cellulose Nato green supplied by Witham Paints. The matt and satin both seemed good, it's easy enough to apply by brush, roller or spray gun. For spraying it needs a lot of thinners. Can't really compare it to any other brands, I chose it because my local ag suppliers are a dealer so can get it in next-day.  http://www.withamgroup.co.uk/

Edited by Boris113